Is Wireless Number Portability Changing the Game for Mobile Phone Plans?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wireless
In summary, the new wireless number portability law will allow customers to keep their phone numbers when switching plans. Some reasons for switching plans may include dissatisfaction with current carrier's coverage, customer service, or billing. The AWS/Cingular/T-Mobile service offers the ability to travel without worrying about phone compatibility, and may be a cheaper option than bundled packages. In the US, the speaker currently uses T-Mobile but would switch to Virgin Mobile if they offered a GSM option. In Europe and Asia-Pacific regions, the speaker's preference is also Virgin Mobile, followed by historically innovative Orange.
Anyone going to switch plans once the new wireless number portability law is passed that you can keep your phone number? I have been happy with At&T Wireless so far.

Computer science news on Phys.org
AWS' GSM service, or the older one?

Envious of those cheese-eating surrender monkeys, Brits, Italians, Finns, Indians, Chinese, ... who do all that texting (a.k.a. SMSing/messaging)? Anxious to travel the world without worrying about making your phone (and its contents) work in new places? Get AWS/Cingular/T-Mobile!

Then there are the boring reasons - my carrier has lousy coverage/customer service/billing/...

In places where number portability was introduced a long time ago (Hong Kong was one of the first, IIRC), most operators adopted defensive measures quickly, and churn (percentage of customers who moved to a competitor) returned to 'normal' levels after a few months.

Nereid what company are you with right now?

When in the US I use T-Mobile, mostly for historical reasons. However, if Virgin Mobile offered a GSM option, I'd switch in a heartbeat. Why? For most people, the bundles offered by nearly everyone in the market (e.g. 300 'free daytime weekday national minutes', unlimited other time minutes) are more expensive than a pure pay-as-you-go scheme, because of their calling patterns. There are notable exceptions, of course.

In Europe and the Asia-Pacific regions, my preference again is Virgin Mobile, for the same reason. Historically, Orange offered innovative packages, but since its acquisition by France Telecom, they've reverted to 'me-too'.

What is wireless number portability?

Wireless number portability is the ability for a consumer to keep their phone number when switching from one wireless service provider to another.

How does wireless number portability work?

Wireless number portability works through a central database that stores all active phone numbers. When a consumer requests to port their number, the new service provider contacts the database to verify the number and make the necessary changes.

What are the benefits of wireless number portability?

The main benefit of wireless number portability is the convenience and flexibility it provides to consumers. They can switch service providers without having to change their phone number, which is often associated with important personal and professional contacts.

Is wireless number portability available in all countries?

No, wireless number portability is not available in all countries. It depends on the regulations and infrastructure of each country. Some countries may have limited or no options for number portability.

Are there any fees associated with wireless number portability?

There may be fees associated with wireless number portability, such as a one-time porting fee or early termination fees from the previous service provider. It is best to check with the new service provider for any potential fees before initiating the porting process.