Setting up Kubuntu of my M6811 e-machines laptop

• Thread starter Genecks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laptop
In summary, the conversation revolves around the use of ndiswrapper for a wireless card in Linux, the desire to access a laptop remotely and unreliable web servers. The person is seeking advice on setting up the wireless card in under an hour and is willing to use the newest version of Suse. They also mention being a student with limited time to figure out Linux commands and want to know how to find the exact model of their wireless card.
Genecks
I don't understand ndiswrapper.. or any linux commands.. but I want to move to linux..

I can't figure out how to use the ndiswrapper setup for my wireless card.. I've tried before and it took me multiple hours for multiple days and then I gave up..

I want to be able to access my laptop from a remote location and u/l and d/l files from it.

Web servers I've been usually lately aren't too reliable. :grumpy:
Anyone have any ideas on how I could set up my wireless card in under an hour?

I'd be willing to use the newest version of Suse also.
I'm a student so I don't have a lot of time to play around with Linux commands and so forth..
However, I would be willing to spend at most an hour a day trying to figure junk out.

Computer science news on Phys.org
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Ubuntu

Last edited by a moderator:
How can I find out what exact model of broadcom wireless G card I have?

Shouldn't there be a model number on the card somewhere?

1. How do I install Kubuntu on my M6811 e-machines laptop?

To install Kubuntu on your M6811 e-machines laptop, you will need to create a bootable USB or CD with the Kubuntu ISO file. Then, insert the USB or CD into your laptop and restart it. Follow the prompts to complete the installation process.

2. Can I dual boot Kubuntu with my current operating system on my M6811 e-machines laptop?

Yes, you can dual boot Kubuntu with your current operating system on your M6811 e-machines laptop. During the installation process, you will be given the option to either erase your current operating system or install Kubuntu alongside it.

3. What are the system requirements for running Kubuntu on my M6811 e-machines laptop?

The minimum system requirements for Kubuntu are 1GB of RAM, 20GB of hard drive space, and a 2GHz processor. However, for optimal performance, it is recommended to have at least 4GB of RAM and a faster processor.

4. Can I customize the desktop environment of Kubuntu on my M6811 e-machines laptop?

Yes, Kubuntu allows for extensive customization of the desktop environment. You can change the appearance, add widgets and shortcuts, and even switch to a different desktop environment if desired.

5. Is there a support community for Kubuntu on M6811 e-machines laptops?

Yes, there is a large and active community of Kubuntu users who offer support and resources for troubleshooting any issues that may arise. You can find forums, chat groups, and official documentation to help with any questions or concerns.