Help - finding what slope means

In summary: The slope of the line is related to the acceleration of the cart. If acceleration were constant, distance would be a parabolic function of time.
an_mui
urgent help - finding what slope means

Suppose a student is given position-time data for a cart which was known to have an initial velocity of zero. if the student plots the fifth root of time (t^1/5) on the y axis, what variable should he plot on the x-axis so that the resulting graph is a straight line? how is the slope of the line related to the acceleration of the cart?

[tex]d = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]d^\frac{1}{10} = (\frac{1}{2}a)^\frac{1}{10} t^\frac{1}{5}[/tex]

this is what I've done so far... can anyone give me some hints as to what to do next? thank you i need to know the answer in 1 hour =(

Physics news on Phys.org
Normally if one was given position - time data, one would plot position (displacement from some reference) on the y-axis (a dependent variable) and time on the x-axis (independent variable).

The slope would then be the speed or magnitude of velocity, and it would be a straight line if there were no acceleration.

If there were an acceleration or deceleration the slope would not be straight. The second derivative of the curve would give the acceleration. If acceleration were constant, distance would be a parabolic function of time.

To get a straight line in a plot, one would have to take [tex]d = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex] and take the log or ln of the expression to get
[tex]ln d = ln\frac{a}{2} + 2 ln t[/tex] and this assumes a is constant.

Think about y = t1/5

x = ?, and one wants to find dy/dx = d(t1/5)/d(?)

to get a straight line [itex] \frac{d^2y}{dx^2}[/itex] = 0

an_mui said:
Suppose a student is given position-time data for a cart which was known to have an initial velocity of zero. if the student plots the fifth root of time (t^1/5) on the y axis, what variable should he plot on the x-axis so that the resulting graph is a straight line? how is the slope of the line related to the acceleration of the cart?
[tex]d = \frac{1}{2}at^2[/tex]
[tex]d^\frac{1}{10} = (\frac{1}{2}a)^\frac{1}{10} t^\frac{1}{5}[/tex]
this is what I've done so far... can anyone give me some hints as to what to do next? thank you i need to know the answer in 1 hour =(
You've got the answer right there : call [itex]t^{1/5} = y [/itex]. Then rearranging the equation gives

[tex]y = d^{1/10}/(a/2)^{1/10} = k \cdot d^{1/10} [/tex]

So, if you make the x-axis contain values of [itex]d^{1/10} [/itex] you are done. You will then have a line of the form [itex]y = kx [/itex], where the slope of the line, k, is ... ?

Last edited:

What is slope and why is it important?

Slope is a mathematical concept that measures the steepness of a line. It is important because it allows us to understand the relationship between two variables in a graph.

How is slope calculated?

Slope is calculated by dividing the change in the y-values (vertical change) by the change in the x-values (horizontal change) between two points on a line.

What does a positive or negative slope indicate?

A positive slope indicates that the line is increasing from left to right, while a negative slope indicates that the line is decreasing from left to right. This can tell us about the direction and rate of change of the variables being measured.

Can slope have a value of 0?

Yes, a slope of 0 means that the line is horizontal and has no steepness. This can happen when the y-values do not change as the x-values increase.

How is slope used in real life?

Slope is used in various fields such as engineering, physics, economics, and geography. It can help us analyze data, make predictions, and solve real-world problems involving rates of change.