Exploring CadTel Solar Cells and Photovoltaics

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's experience working in a research lab focused on CadTel solar cells and their intention to take a class on Photovoltaics. They also ask for information on the use of cadmium in PV cells, the ideal efficiency of a PV cell, and advancements and techniques in PV technology. The respondents mention that commercially available cells have an efficiency limit of around 20%, while an ideal efficiency of 100% is not possible. They also mention the Carnot efficiency equation and its applicability to PV cells, with a possible efficiency of around 34%.
csmines
Hey I got the oppurtunity to work in a research lab that focused on CadTel solar cells this summer and learned a fair deal about them, I also intend to take a class on Photovoltaics in the spring but I was just wondering how people feel about the cadmium in cadtel and would love some more information on PV cells. For example does anyone know what the ideal efficiency of a PV cell is? I heard it was around 30%. Also, I know that NREL has cells that can attain about a 21% efficiency through multiple stage absorption (maybe?) if you could clarify that and what the best cell around (efficiency wise) is. Anywhoo just anything general about PV technology, theory, recent advancements, job market, production techniques and so on.

Thanks a lot guys. csm

Computer science news on Phys.org
20% is about the limit of commercially available cells. 30% is probably stuff you only see in the lab (or maybe on the space station). "Ideal" would of course be 100%.

I am unsure of how analogous this equation is. The ideal Carnot efficiency of any heat engine working between two thermal reservoirs is

[tex]
\eta_{th}=1-\frac{Q_L}{Q_H}
[/tex]

It is my understanding, if I am correct, that it is impossible for an engine to even get 100% of an ideal efficiency. For example how much heat an engine produces in comparison with how much it wastes is the efficiency that you are speaking of (I think). It's been a long time since I have taken thermodynamics, and I know that this question does not refer to thermodynamics, but I vaguely remember my proffessor saying that a type of Carnot efficiency like this for PV was around 34%, however I have been unable to verify this elsewhere.

1. What are CadTel solar cells and how do they work?

CadTel solar cells are photovoltaic devices that convert sunlight into electricity. They are made of cadmium telluride (CdTe) semiconductor material, which absorbs sunlight and releases electrons, creating an electric current. The current is then collected and used as a source of power.

2. What makes CadTel solar cells different from other types of solar cells?

CadTel solar cells are known for their high efficiency in converting sunlight into electricity. They are also more cost-effective than other types of solar cells, such as silicon-based cells. Additionally, CadTel solar cells are thin, lightweight, and flexible, making them easier to install and transport.

3. How are CadTel solar cells manufactured?

The manufacturing process of CadTel solar cells involves depositing layers of CdTe onto a substrate, such as glass or plastic, using a technique called vapor deposition. The layers are then doped with impurities to create an electric field and improve the conductivity. Finally, metal contacts are added to collect the electric current.

4. What are the benefits of using CadTel solar cells?

There are several benefits to using CadTel solar cells. They have a high power conversion efficiency, can be produced at a lower cost compared to other solar cell materials, and have a shorter energy payback time. They also perform well in low-light conditions and have a lower temperature coefficient, meaning their efficiency is less affected by high temperatures.

5. What are the potential limitations of CadTel solar cells?

One potential limitation of CadTel solar cells is their sensitivity to moisture and heat. They require a protective encapsulation layer to prevent damage from environmental factors. In addition, CadTel is a toxic material, so proper disposal and recycling methods must be implemented to avoid environmental contamination. However, with proper handling and recycling, the negative impact can be minimized.