Athlete jumps at angle with distance find speed

In summary, the problem involves finding the take-off speed of an athlete executing a long jump at a 33.6 degree angle and traveling 7.77m horizontally. It is mentioned that increasing the speed by 4% would result in a longer jump, but the time factor is necessary for a complete solution. The range equation (v^2)sin(2x)/g is suggested as a possible approach.
afa

Homework Statement

Leaves the ground at a 33.6 degree angle and travels at 7.77 m. What is take off speed?
If speed were increased by 4% how much longer would the jump be?

Homework Equations

Vx=Vcos(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

7.77=vcos33.6 got 9.33 but says it wrong, then I added 4% to this and did 9.7cos33.6 which also seems to be wrong..what am I missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time my friend-time. What`s the time what it takes to travel.

Hi afa, could you be a little more specific please, you say he travels 7.77m, but where? Horizontally / Vertically / Diagonally? Is this all of the question or is there more detail to it?

Jared

I'm having a similar problem:
An athlete executing a long jump leaves the ground at an angle of 30 degrees and travels 8.90m. What was the take-off speed?

Both responses from juggernaut and myself above apply to this second problem as well.

Jared

travels horizontally 8.90m, no vertical displacement, time is unknown, how do I solve for two variables? Or what do I substitute velocity or time with to solve for the other?

Leaves the ground at 30 degrees, but there's no vertical displacement?

You really do need the time factor, and based on what you have given you can't calculate it as far as I can tell.

I'm not sure if you can solve with only two variables. Try rearranging your equations of motion to get something you can solve (perhaps simultaneously).

You can't just substitute time or velocity as they'll generate different answers.

dmkeddy, you should start your own threads for things like this and not hijack an old one as it will gain you a better response.

Last edited:
Since you have to assume that his y displacement is zero by the time he lands, you could use the range equation for this which is (v^2)sin(2x)/g. You know the range is 7.77 and you know x, which is the angle. So solve for v. For the second case, all is being kept constant, except for velocity. So the equation should be kept normal but except for where you write v^2 write (1.04v)^2. If you simplify, you'll note that everything is the same except for the 1.04^2. Hence, just multiply 7.77 by 1.04^2.

1. How do you calculate the speed of an athlete jumping at an angle with a given distance?

The speed of an athlete can be calculated using the formula: speed = distance / time. In this case, the distance is the horizontal distance covered by the athlete during the jump, and the time is the duration of the jump. This calculation assumes that the vertical distance of the jump is negligible compared to the horizontal distance.

2. What is the relationship between the angle of the jump and the speed of the athlete?

The angle of the jump does not directly affect the speed of the athlete. The speed is determined by the horizontal distance covered and the duration of the jump, regardless of the angle. However, a higher angle may result in a longer jump and therefore a higher speed.

3. Can the speed of an athlete be accurately calculated in real-life situations?

The calculated speed may not be completely accurate in real-life situations due to factors such as air resistance, friction, and other external forces. However, the calculated speed can provide a close estimate of the actual speed of the athlete.

4. Is the speed of an athlete jumping at an angle constant throughout the entire jump?

No, the speed of the athlete may vary throughout the jump depending on factors such as the force of the jump, the angle, and external forces. However, the average speed can be calculated by dividing the total distance by the total time of the jump.

5. How is the speed of an athlete jumping at an angle with distance determined in experiments?

In experiments, the speed of an athlete can be determined by using tools such as high-speed cameras and measuring the distance and duration of the jump. This data can then be used to calculate the speed using the formula speed = distance / time.