How to state fundamental theorem of arithmetic in a formal way?

In summary, the theorem can be restated in first order language as follows: For any positive integer n, there exists a unique prime factorization of n, and if n is expressed as a product of two or more primes, the order of the primes does not affect the result.
julypraise
I think a best informal way to state the theorem is Hardy's:
every positive integer (except the number 1) can be represented in exactly one way apart from rearrangement as a product of one or more primes

But clearly, this statement does not reveal the structure of the statement in the formal language the first order theory. Can you re-state this theorem by only using the first order language elements such as "for all" "there exists" and variable and so on? You can obviously use sets.

I'm having trouble especially on stating the concepts of "a product" and "rearrangement" in the formal language.

Physics news on Phys.org
julypraise said:
I think a best informal way to state the theorem is Hardy's:
every positive integer (except the number 1) can be represented in exactly one way apart from rearrangement as a product of one or more primes

But clearly, this statement does not reveal the structure of the statement in the formal language the first order theory. Can you re-state this theorem by only using the first order language elements such as "for all" "there exists" and variable and so on? You can obviously use sets.

I'm having trouble especially on stating the concepts of "a product" and "rearrangement" in the formal language.
I don't see what is informal about Hardy's statement of the theorem, unless you can't view a prime to be a product of one prime. But your objections could be circumvented by language such as "either as a prime or the product of two or more prime numbers apart from the rearrangement of the order of the primes". IMHO Hardy's statement of the theorm is concise and formal though since it clearly defines a prime to be a product and "product" and "rearrangement" have clear meaning in their context.

Last edited:
@ramsey2879

Basically, my intention is to clarify all the elements by translating to the first order theory language. As you know any (mathematical) statement can be translated to a statement such as "[itex]\forall x\in S \forall y \in K \exists b\dots[/itex] as the fist order theory is implemented set theoretic elements.

In my level of mathematical maturity, I don't directly see this first order language structure of the Hardy's, i.e., I can't directly translate this Hardy's statement into the pure first order theory sentence in my mind, therby the meaning is not clarified to perfection but rather is possessed within a some intuition level vague to some extent.

It'd be burdensome to translate the statement into the pure first order one, but I think it might be that the translation can be shortend if some set theoretic definitions are properly applied. Anyway I can't do it myself. Especially, the concpet of 'rearrangement' and 'product(multiplication)', I can't dare to think of the first order language structure of them.

Note: obviosuly translation into the pure first order language will be really long, but as you know it can be shortened by using proper definitions (summariziation of some sentences or parts of a sentence). Right?

For every positive integer n, there exists a prime factorization of n. If [itex]n = \prod_{i=1}^s p_i^{e_i} = \prod_{j=1}^t q_j^{f_j}[/itex] are two prime factorizations, then [itex]s=t[/itex], and there is a permutation [itex]\sigma[/itex] on {1, ..., s} such that [itex]q_i = p_{\sigma(i)}[/itex] and [itex]f_i = e_{\sigma(i)}[/itex].

By the way, there's no need to exclude 1; you just need to relax "one or more primes" to "zero or more primes".

@Hurkyl

Thank you very much. Your solution is very elegant and careful by the way.

1. What is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic?

The fundamental theorem of arithmetic states that every integer greater than 1 can be expressed as a unique product of prime numbers.

2. What does "unique product" mean in the fundamental theorem of arithmetic?

"Unique product" means that the prime factors of an integer are always the same, regardless of the order in which they are multiplied together.

3. How is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic proven?

The proof of the fundamental theorem of arithmetic involves using mathematical induction and the fact that every integer has a unique prime factorization.

4. Can the fundamental theorem of arithmetic be extended to include negative integers?

No, the fundamental theorem of arithmetic only applies to positive integers. Negative integers do not have a unique prime factorization.

5. Is the fundamental theorem of arithmetic used in any other mathematical concepts?

Yes, the fundamental theorem of arithmetic is used in various mathematical concepts such as number theory, algebra, and cryptography.