Veryfing ODE for complicated y(t)

• Thread starter rdioface
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ode
In summary, the student attempted to solve the differential equation y' + 4ty = 1 but was unable to do so because of the lack of an elementary antiderivative for the function y(t).
rdioface

Homework Statement

For the differential equation, verify (by differentiation and substitution) that the given function y(t) is a solution.

Homework Equations

[itex] y' - 4ty = 1 [/itex]

[itex] y(t) = \int_{0}^{t} e^{-2(s^{2}-t^{2})} ds[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to take [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex] of y(t) as usual but
1. if I do not try bringing the [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex] inside the integral I can do nothing because there is no elementary antiderivative of y(t).
2. if I do bring the [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex] inside the integral, I can use the chain rule to get
[itex] y(t) = (-2) \int_{0}^{t} (-2t) e^{-2(s^{2}-t^{2})} ds[/itex]
but since my variable of integration is ds not dt, this doesn't allow me to use a u-substitution as I had hoped nor can I think of a way to relate ds and dt.

More or less I do not know how to take [itex]\frac{d}{dt}[/itex] of y(t) and I do not know any other ways to solve the problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Do you have to do it that way? Because it looks like you can solve it linearly.

Yes, the problem asks to verify that y(t) is a solution to the differential equation y' + 4ty = 1.

rdioface said:
[itex] (-2) \int_{0}^{t} (-2t) e^{-2(s^{2}-t^{2})} ds[/itex]
but since my variable of integration is ds not dt, this doesn't allow me to use a u-substitution as I had hoped nor can I think of a way to relate ds and dt.

I don't think you have to be able to do the integral to identify that expression as [itex]4 t y(t)[/itex]. Since you are integrating ds you can factor out the t.

Dick said:
I don't think you have to be able to do the integral to identify that expression as [itex]4 t y(t)[/itex]. Since you are integrating ds you can factor out the t.

facepalm.jpg

Thanks!

1. How do you verify an ODE for complicated y(t)?

There are several methods for verifying an ODE for complicated y(t). One common approach is to substitute the solution into the equation and check if it satisfies the equation. Another method is to use numerical methods, such as Euler's method, to solve the ODE and compare the results with the given solution.

2. What should be considered when verifying an ODE for complicated y(t)?

When verifying an ODE for complicated y(t), it is important to check if the solution satisfies the initial conditions, boundary conditions, and any other given constraints. It is also important to check for any potential errors in the calculations or assumptions made during the verification process.

3. Can an ODE for complicated y(t) have multiple solutions?

Yes, an ODE for complicated y(t) can have multiple solutions. This is because the given initial or boundary conditions may not uniquely determine the solution. In such cases, additional constraints or information may be needed to determine a unique solution.

4. What are the limitations of verifying an ODE for complicated y(t)?

The main limitation of verifying an ODE for complicated y(t) is the potential for errors in the calculations or assumptions made during the verification process. Additionally, some ODEs may be too complex to be verified analytically and may require numerical methods, which can also introduce errors.

5. Can computer programs be used to verify ODEs for complicated y(t)?

Yes, computer programs can be very useful in verifying ODEs for complicated y(t). They can handle complex equations and perform calculations with high precision, reducing the potential for errors. However, it is important to validate the results obtained from computer programs and check for any potential errors or limitations in the program itself.