Math REUs 2012: When Can We Expect Decisions?

• Thread starter ktupv
  • Start date
In summary: I'm on the short-list!In summary, people are waiting to hear back from REUs, but no one is discussing when decisions will be made.
I got rejected from SMALL and the statistical genetics REU at Dort College. I hope I get in somewhere this summer! :/

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm writing to let you all know that William and Mary has begun sending out offers. I have a week to decide. :)

By the way, has anyone here attended the W&M math REU? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience and overall thoughts.

Last edited:
764527 said:
I'm writing to let you all know that William and Mary has begun sending out offers. I have a week to decide. :)

By the way, has anyone here attended the W&M math REU? If so, I'd love to hear about your experience and overall thoughts.

Same here! I have the same question, too, haha.

Anyone heard back from UCLA Logic summer school?

ghjk said:
Anyone heard back from UCLA Logic summer school?

Yes.

markiv said:
Yes.

You got the offer? If you did, congrats:) When did you hear from them btw?

Yes, I did. Thank you. Actually, I just heard from them today.

Just got an acceptance letter for the NC State REU! Awesome! They want to know if I am going by March 9th, so hoping to hear from other schools. I can just e-mail them to know if I am in or not? NC State was not at the top of my list but I would definitely like going there.

Thought I'd let you guys know, I just got accepted into Hope College's REU.

I was just invited to the CSU Channel Islands REU! :) I have six days to respond.

Last edited:
What were some of your qualifications, if you don't mind me asking, Baroudeur?

(Updates in italics.)

Offers: W&M, ETSU, LSU, Lafayette
Rejections: Emory, Williams (SMALL), SUNY Potsdam

A week ago I was worried that I wouldn't get into any REUs, and now I'm dizzy from thinking about which one to attend!

dreamer32 said:
What were some of your qualifications, if you don't mind me asking, Baroudeur?

I might be something of an unconventional applicant. I've always liked math, but I was a disinterested and angsty civil engineer until a year ago... that's when I finally dropped engineering for math. Since then, my grades have been perfect, but for the first 1.5 years of my college experience, I got B's in math and other subjects. My recommendations were good, and I wrote good essays that address my past and look to the future.

764527 said:
(Updates in italics.)

Offers: W&M, ETSU, LSU, Lafayette

A week ago I was worried that I wouldn't get into any REUs, and now I'm dizzy from thinking about which one to attend!

First off, congratulations! Choices are good!

How did they contact you for acceptances/rejections? I've applied to ETSU and SUNY Potsdam and now am a bit worried I haven't heard anything yet...

In fact, I haven't heard back from anywhere! Should I start making alternative summer plans?

Derivate said:
First off, congratulations! Choices are good!

How did they contact you for acceptances/rejections? I've applied to ETSU and SUNY Potsdam and now am a bit worried I haven't heard anything yet...

In fact, I haven't heard back from anywhere! Should I start making alternative summer plans?

Thank you! I was contacted through e-mail at all places I listed. If you haven't heard back, then there's still hope since you haven't been rejected. :wink:

I don't think there's any reason to make alternative plans so soon; from what I've heard, some programs won't have completed their selection process until around the end of April!

764527 said:
I was contacted through e-mail at all places I listed. If you haven't heard back, then there's still hope since you haven't been rejected.

Interesting. Sounds like I've been wait-listed at a number of places, then, seeing as I've heard nothing from programs to which others have already been invited (UCLA Logic and SUNY Potsdam in particular).

I didn't know they'd respond this fast. I haven't heard back from any (including SUNY Potsdam, so I'm in the same boat as you guys). The deadline for Michigan is still two weeks away, and that's one of my top choices. I hope I'm in a sweet spot in the wait-list so they accept me, but not for two or three weeks. I won't complain if they accept me earlier of course.

Apparently Cornell will not be receiving word from the NSF about their funding until the end of this week or beginning of next week, and thus, will not be sending out any offers until around that time.

I too have an offer from CSUCI and need to respond by Friday. It looks like I will be accepting it. :V

So I've only heard from one REU so far, the William and Mary one, and that was also the last one I submitted my application for... huh

The email I received from W&M was also really cryptic... it mentioned something about my "excellent application" but didn't really say directly whether I was accepted or not... wtf

I got into Bard, and might attend. I'm still waiting on a last shot (pun not intended :wink:) from another REU.

I made the short list for WPI! They sent out emails requesting a phone interview.
Also, got rejected from Lafayette.

(Updates in italics.)

Offers: W&M, ETSU, LSU, Lafayette, UT Tyler, JMU, Oregon State

I accepted the offer to ETSU, declined my other offers, and withdrew my applications to the places that I have not heard back from. Congratulations to all that received offers, and I wish best of luck to the rest!

Anyone got the first round offer from IMA REU at UMN? They told me that they sent out all the 1st round of offers (I didn't get it:P). By the way, does anyone know why do they have 1st round? This is my last chance for the summer:(

So I still haven't gotten an answer from any of the 7 places I applied to, except that really cryptic one from william and mary. Is this bad...?

I accepted my position at CSU Channel Islands! Anyone else going?

Acceptions: WPI
Rejections: UCLA, Dort, Williams, Lafayette.

WPI wants an answer by Monday!

I'm waiting on UCSB, SDSU, and Cornell. :/

Has anyone heard back from San Diego, Texas State, or Boise State?

Still waiting on Fairfield, UMichigan, UT Tyler, ASU MTBI, MSRI-UP. Haven't actually heard from anyone yet.

I just got an offer from the REU/MASS program at Penn State! so happy, i was freaking out in my car for minutes. I'm planning to accept it since this was my top choice, so long as it gets OK'ed by my school's dean and financial aid officer. anyone else going?

they are giving me 15 days to respond which I find very generous compared to other programs. shouldn't all REUs be required to not force a decision before an agreed-upon date?

zooxanthellae said:
Still waiting on Fairfield, UMichigan, UT Tyler, ASU MTBI, MSRI-UP. Haven't actually heard from anyone yet.

I was accepted by MSRI-UP on Tuesday, but decided to decline. They'll probably be making second-round offers soon.

Just got an offer from UT Tyler! Still waiting on Fairfield, Hope, LSU, Bard, Boise, Clemson, Lafayette, OSU. Was rejected from UCLA Logic School and UNCG.

Does anyone know much about the UT Tyler program? It's the only school I applied to that I hadn't heard of.

So who all is attending SMALL this summer? In particular, the Ergodic Theory one?

Has anyone heard back from GVSU or Wisconsin-Stout yet?

People who got rejected from SUNY Potsdam - did they email you saying you were rejected? Or did you have to contact them? I haven't heard from that place yet.. as a matter of fact I haven't heard from anywhere yet.