Fractals Programming Tutorial

In summary, the conversation discusses the request for resources on programming fractals using various computer languages and the question of which compiler was used in a tutorial. It is suggested to learn more about the language before attempting to copy and run the code. Programming a fractal using OpenGL is also mentioned, but it may be more complicated without a good graphics card. It is advised to start with simpler programs when still learning the basics of programming.
Dr. Physics
I want good tutorial on programming fractals using computer languages like C++,Java,Python,C#,Perl,Delphi,OpenGL.
I want to program various fractals using any above languages for that I need some tutorial.
Please suggest me some of the resources which are useful.

Technology news on Phys.org
This might be a good place to start. I'm not sure why you ask, though. There's plenty to be found about it on the internet.

Thanks Hobin, is that above program was compile in C++.
I want to post fractal calculating program on webpage with the help of Java or any other languages, how to do that.
Also fractals can be calculated by using OpenGL but my computer doesn't have good GPU.
Any other option can you suggest.

Dr. Physics said:
I want to post fractal calculating program on webpage with the help of Java or any other languages, how to do that.
You'd have to learn to either code a Java applet or use some sort of scripting on your webpage. A Java applet is probably easiest.

Dr. Physics said:
Also fractals can be calculated by using OpenGL but my computer doesn't have good GPU.
Then don't use your GPU. :smile: Though this might make things a bit more complicated. Are you an experienced programmer?

I am a high school student and an intermediate program.
The link which you post for fractal programming which compiler was used.

Dr. Physics said:
The link which you post for fractal programming which compiler was used.
I don't know, as it's not on the page. It shouldn't matter, though. I've gone through the code, and there is nothing nonstandard about it. It does not, however, give you a whole C/C++ program to just copy and run. You might want to learn a little more about the language itself before trying these examples.

I copy n pasted the program code but it shows error. I am using Dev C++ 5.0

Dr. Physics said:
I copy n pasted the program code but it shows error. I am using Dev C++ 5.0

Yes, that's because you can't copy and paste it, because it's not a program. It doesn't provide the C/C++ barebones your compiler requires. Like I said, if you just want to copy, paste and run such an application, try to learn a little more about the language first. :smile:

That tutorial is the one I've been using to learn about drawing the Mandelbrot set, it's very helpful, but you must adapt the algorithm to your language of choice, and you'll need to figure out how to use whatever 2d library you are using. OpenGL is fine, I made one in C using OpenGL. The fractal rendering speed is more dependant on the algorithm you use than it is on your graphics hardware.

There are much easier programs to write while you are still learning the basics of programming.

1. What are fractals?

Fractals are complex geometric shapes that exhibit self-similarity at different scales. This means that the same patterns and shapes are repeated at smaller and larger scales within the overall structure.

2. Why is programming fractals important?

Programming fractals allows us to create and manipulate these complex shapes in a digital environment. This has many practical applications, such as in computer graphics and simulations, as well as providing a tool for exploring mathematical concepts.

3. What programming languages are commonly used for fractals?

Some popular programming languages for creating fractals include Java, C++, Python, and JavaScript. Each language has its own strengths and can be used to create different types of fractals.

4. Is it difficult to program fractals?

Programming fractals can be challenging, especially for beginners. It requires a good understanding of mathematics and programming concepts, as well as patience and creativity. However, there are many tutorials and resources available to help make the process easier.

5. What are some common techniques for programming fractals?

There are several techniques that can be used to program fractals, including recursion, iteration, and the use of complex numbers. Different techniques may be more suitable for different types of fractals, so it's important to experiment and find what works best for your desired outcome.