Successive Approximation ADC: What Sets It Apart?

In summary: ADC.So in summary Wiki says:A successive approximation ADC is a type of analog-to-digital converter that converts a continuous analog waveform into a discrete digital representation via a binary search through all possible quantization levels before finally converging upon a digital output for each conversion. The difference is in how the A/D converter works internally, which has an implication on the performance it can give. A direct-conversion ADC uses a bank of comparators to instantaneously convert the signal. This implies a short conversion time, and it can follow jumps. But it will be more expensive.
Femme_physics
Gold Member
Wiki says:

A successive approximation ADC is a type of analog-to-digital converter that converts a continuous analog waveform into a discrete digital representation via a binary search through all possible quantization levels before finally converging upon a digital output for each conversion.

Isn't this exactly what every A/D converter does?

For a graph of Vin to digital output it basically approximates the nearest digital value to the continuous signal ->

a2d_2bits.jpg

So I don't see the difference between them.

Engineering news on Phys.org

Yes, that is what every A/D converter does.

The difference is in how the A/D converter works internally, which has an implication on the performance it can give.

A successive approximation ADC uses 1 comparator and counts towards the signal.
This means a long conversion time.
And it won't be able to follow a signal that makes "jumps" correctly.

A direct-conversion ADC uses a bank of comparators to instantaneously convert the signal.
This implies a short conversion time, and it can follow jumps.
But it will be more expensive.

Last edited:

There is no such thing as a 'regular' ADC.
Each has its pros and cons depending on if you want speed of conversion, cost or resolution, etc.

If you look at this site on DAC and ADC it describes the many types.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/electric/Digital/DIGI_13.html

256bits said:
There is no such thing as a 'regular' ADC.
Each has its pros and cons depending on if you want speed of conversion, cost or resolution, etc.

If you look at this site on DAC and ADC it describes the many types.
http://www.faqs.org/docs/electric/Digital/DIGI_13.html

Yes, there are different type of ADC, bottom line is speed vs simplicity.

I like Serena said:
A successive approximation ADC uses 1 comparator and counts towards the signal.
This means a long conversion time.
And it won't be able to follow a signal that makes "jumps" correctly.

A direct-conversion ADC uses a bank of comparators to instantaneously convert the signal.
This implies a short conversion time, and it can follow jumps.
But it will be more expensive.

So a successive approximation is basically less accurate than direct-conversion ADC?

Is it essentially the cheaper junk of the ACD market since it uses more cheap and archaic methods?

Femme_physics said:
So a successive approximation is basically less accurate than direct-conversion ADC?

Is it essentially the cheaper junk of the ACD market since it uses more cheap and archaic methods?

Yep. :)

in real world environment a dual slope integrator with integration period of one power line cycle offers some benefits wrt line frequency noise rejection. But it's painfully slow.

Well, I am supposed to explain the principle of how successive approximation works. And I need to demonstrate this explanation. I'm sorry it appears like a HW is intruding, but that's what sparked it all.

I am tempted to just quote ILS. Problem is, even if I do, I need to demonstrate this successive approximation explanation based on the following A/D converter

http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/8844/dact.jpg

There are no comparators and no counters that I can see...

Last edited by a moderator:
Bassalisk had very similar thread a few weeks ago.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=566035&highlight=adc+bassalisk
It had some good links.

See if this one is any help. Seems to have the right title.
http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_4/chpt_13/6.html
Read 'Previous Page" in that link because it builds on an idea presented there.

That looks more like a DAC in your post. They wrap a loop around it to make it do ADC, as the link shows.

Last edited:

I like Serena said:
Yep. :)

According to the link "jim hardy" provided:

One method of addressing the digital ramp ADC's shortcomings is the so-called successive-approximation ADC. The only change in this design is a very special counter circuit known as a successive-approximation register. Instead of counting up in binary sequence, this register counts by trying all values of bits starting with the most-significant bit and finishing at the least-significant bit. Throughout the count process, the register monitors the comparator's output to see if the binary count is less than or greater than the analog signal input, adjusting the bit values accordingly. The way the register counts is identical to the "trial-and-fit" method of decimal-to-binary conversion, whereby different values of bits are tried from MSB to LSB to get a binary number that equals the original decimal number. The advantage to this counting strategy is much faster results: the DAC output converges on the analog signal input in much larger steps than with the 0-to-full count sequence of a regular counter.

Why would they compliment this successive approximation method if it sucks so much?

Ahhh those sneaky fellows . The key word is in your post #1, "" via a binary search ""
In "Previous Page" at that link they describe an ADC that uses a free running counter which starts at 0 and increments one LSB at a time until it reaches the value of input. For 8 bits it would take 256 counts to digitize a full scale analog input. 128 for a half scale input.
The cycle stops after however many tries it took , max being 2^(number of bits).

The successive approximation starts instead with MSB and words sort of fail me here. So let me do an example.
Assume the analog input is full scale , 256 for our 8 bit example.

Set MSB only, that's halfscale and comparator recognizes that's not a big enough number.
So set next MSB, still not big enough
Set next MSB, still not big enough
and so on
until you set LSB and comparator recognizes that as the proper result., all bits set .
So you arrived at answer with eight tries instead of 256.

That's a binary search - where you eliminate half your choices with each test.
Had the number been too large at any point you'd just not set that bit and go on until all eight bits were tested.So the successive approximation is usually faster than simple up-counter and perhaps a kind word for it is not out of order.
Certainly it's more predictable. It'll always take 8 trial cycles whereas the simple up-counter takes however many cycles are required to reach input - not many for small numbers but lots for large ones.

Recognizing that 8 bits is not a lot of resolution and even 256 tries wouldn't be outlandish. But what about those eighteen bit ADC's ?

did i get it across? Sorry for my ineloquence. I was "Born to Plod."

old jim

Last edited:

Femme_physics said:
According to the link "jim hardy" provided:

Why would they compliment this successive approximation method if it sucks so much?

Because it improves on the 0-to-full count method (which you have in your other thread) beautifully and it's a gem in engineering design. ;)

Of course in electronic equipment where it counts (like audio), you'll only see direct-conversion A/D's.

In other words, there are many much more plenty fancy stuff, huh? :)

What is Successive Approximation ADC?

Successive Approximation ADC is a type of analog-to-digital converter that uses a binary search algorithm to convert analog signals into digital signals. It is commonly used in applications that require high resolution and accuracy, such as in scientific and medical equipment.

How does Successive Approximation ADC work?

The Successive Approximation ADC works by comparing the input analog signal to a known reference voltage using a binary search algorithm. It starts by assuming a digital value that is midway between the minimum and maximum values of the input range. It then either increases or decreases this value based on whether the input signal is higher or lower than the reference voltage. This process continues until the digital value converges to the input signal, providing a digital representation of the analog signal.

What sets Successive Approximation ADC apart from other ADCs?

Successive Approximation ADC is known for its high resolution and accuracy, making it suitable for applications that require precise measurements. It also has a relatively fast conversion speed and low power consumption compared to other types of ADCs.

What are the advantages of using Successive Approximation ADC?

Some advantages of using Successive Approximation ADC include its high resolution and accuracy, low power consumption, and fast conversion speed. It also has a simple and straightforward design, making it easy to implement in various applications.

What are the limitations of Successive Approximation ADC?

One limitation of Successive Approximation ADC is its sensitivity to noise, which can affect the accuracy of the conversion. It also has a limited input range, which may not be suitable for applications that require a wide range of analog signals. Additionally, it may be more expensive compared to other types of ADCs.