Can I Build a UAV Drone with an Arduino Uno Board for a High School Competition?

In summary, it is recommended to use the ardupilot board for building a UAV drone for a high school competition, as trying to recreate it with individual parts would be more expensive and require custom programming work. The APM:Plane firmware is suggested for fixed wing drones, and options such as the APM 2.6 or Pixhawk are available for purchase. Using a plain Arduino would require writing your own autopilot and integrating sensors, which may not be feasible for a high school project.
nst.john
I am building a uav drone for a high school competition and I have the arduino uno R3 board but other websites said I need the ardupilot board. Can I build it with the arduino uno and do you know the materials I would need for the mechanical and electrical aspects of the drone? And if you also have any good references that would be nice too!

Thanks!

Computer science news on Phys.org
Get an http://store.3drobotics.com/products/apm-2-6-kit-1 or Pixhawk. (Both can run the APM:Plane/Copter firmware.)

If you use a plain Arduino you'll need to write your own autopilot, integrate sensors (gyros, accelerometer, GPS, AHRS, etc.), and integrate it with your vehicle. You're in high school, so you won't be able to do this.

Are you doing fixed wing or rotary wing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fixed wing

Then you'd want APM:Plane.

Likes 1 person
Thanks alot! :-)

Don't forget to use the thanks button

Likes 1 person

1. What is a UAV?

A UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) is an aircraft that is operated remotely without a pilot onboard. It can be controlled by a pilot on the ground or can fly autonomously through pre-programmed instructions.

2. What is an Arduino Uno board?

An Arduino Uno board is a microcontroller board that is used for building electronic projects. It is based on the ATmega328P microcontroller and has digital and analog input/output pins that can be programmed to control various components.

3. How is the Arduino Uno board used in UAVs?

The Arduino Uno board is used in UAVs to control and communicate with various components such as motors, sensors, and communication modules. It can also be used to program the flight path and control the flight modes of the UAV.

4. Can I use any other microcontroller board instead of Arduino Uno?

Yes, you can use other microcontroller boards such as Raspberry Pi, ESP32, or STM32 in UAVs. However, the Arduino Uno board is a popular choice due to its ease of use, low cost, and large community support.

5. Do I need to have programming knowledge to use a UAV with Arduino Uno board?

Yes, some programming knowledge is required to use a UAV with an Arduino Uno board. You will need to learn the basics of the Arduino programming language and have a good understanding of electronics to build and control a UAV successfully.