What are some nonreactive electrolyte solutions?

• Thread starter Xtensity
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker needs to reduce an alcohol using electrochemical methods. The usual catholyte solutions they use are basic sulfuric acid, but this would cause a violent reaction with the alcohol. Instead, they would prefer to use an electrolyte that can act as a conductor and not react with the alcohol. They suggest using an inert salt, such as sodium sulfate, for this purpose.
Xtensity
I have an alcohol that I need to hydrogenate/reduce and I would like to do it electrochemically. The catholyte solutions I am used to using are basic sulfuric acid, but that would not work in this case as it would cause a violent reaction with the alcohol. The alcohol could be reduced with an acid but I would prefer to do it electrochemically as it is much cleaner. I need some sort of electrolyte, either soluble in alcohol or water, that can act as a conductor in this cell, but not react with the alcohol that I am reducing. Following the reduction is the usual workout with an acid-base extraction so there's no worry about difficulty in removing the elctrolyte.

Any ideas?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Sodium sulfate? Basically any inert salt that won't easily get oxidized nor reduced.

1. What is a nonreactive electrolyte solution?

A nonreactive electrolyte solution is a liquid that contains dissolved ions and does not undergo any chemical reactions. These solutions are used in various scientific and industrial applications, such as in batteries and as conductive mediums in experiments.

2. How is a nonreactive electrolyte solution different from a reactive one?

A nonreactive electrolyte solution does not undergo any chemical reactions, while a reactive electrolyte solution will undergo a chemical reaction when exposed to certain conditions or substances. This can result in a change in the composition or properties of the solution.

3. What are some examples of nonreactive electrolyte solutions?

Common examples of nonreactive electrolyte solutions include salt water, sugar water, and diluted acids and bases. These solutions do not undergo any chemical reactions and can be used as conductive mediums in experiments or as a source of ions in batteries.

4. Are there any risks associated with handling nonreactive electrolyte solutions?

Nonreactive electrolyte solutions are generally safe to handle, but caution should still be taken when working with them. Some solutions may be corrosive or have other hazards, so it is important to read and follow safety precautions and guidelines when handling these solutions.

5. Can a nonreactive electrolyte solution become reactive under certain conditions?

Yes, a nonreactive electrolyte solution can become reactive under certain conditions, such as exposure to high temperatures, strong acids or bases, or other reactive substances. It is important to handle these solutions carefully and avoid any potential reactions.