If a irrational number be the basis of count

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of non-integer representation in number systems, specifically the use of the constant e as a basis for counting. The conversation also touches on the practicality and applications of using non-integer radixes, such as base-8 and base-16, in computer programming. The conversation concludes with a discussion about different bases and their use in grade school mathematics.
Jhenrique
In the comum sense, the number 10 is the base of the decimal system and is the more intuitive basis for make counts (certainly because the human being have 10 fingers). But, in the math, the number 10 is an horrible basis when compared with the constant e. You already thought if an irrational number can be the basis of system of count, it make sense?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Jhenrique said:
In the comum sense, the number 10 is the base of the decimal system and is the more intuitive basis for make counts (certainly because the human being have 10 fingers). But, in the math, the number 10 is an horrible basis when compared with the constant e. You already thought if an irrational number can be the basis of system of count, it make sense?

Why is it horrible?

For arithmetic to work easily, the basis has to be an integer. It is hard to envision what a number would even look like with e or any non-integer.

Since computers became widespread, 8 or 16 might be practical alternatives to 10.

Have any of you folks ever converted everyday numbers to non-integer radixes?

I tried back in the late seventies, just out of curiosity but my math was not up to the challenge.
I wanted to see what would some of the physical constants, Planck, c, μ0 , ε0, look like in bases e pi etc.

Closest i ever came was a Basic program that converted Florida's lotto numbers into 49 bit binary numbers and printed them out as hex, decimal and octal. No visual patterns emerged.

Your links above are quite interesting.
For a non-integer radix β > 1, the value of

x=d n... d2d1 d0d-1d-2...d-m...
is

x= βndn + β2d2 + β1d1 + β0d0 β-1d-1mdm

Thanks !

old jim , who is distractable to a fault.

mathman said:
Why is it horrible?

For arithmetic to work easily, the basis has to be an integer. It is hard to envision what a number would even look like with e or any non-integer.

Since computers became widespread, 8 or 16 might be practical alternatives to 10.
Base-8 used to be used a lot, but not as much any more, as far as I can see. Base-2 (binary) and base-16 (hexadecimal) are heavily used in computer programming.

Many years ago, when one of my daughters was in grade school... Over dinner she asked me what was the most "interesting" base for a number system.

I answered ##-2##, because ##1+1=110## and you can get the rest of arithmetic from there.

What I didn't know was that the question was prompted by a school homework assignment: Choose a radix and demonstrate worked addition, subtraction, multiplication, and long division problems in that radix. She pulled it off, although the long division algorithm is not deterministic - when dividing ##A## by ##B##, having ##nB\le{A}## and ##(n+1)B\gt{A}## doesn't mean that subtracting ##nB## is the right next step.

This...this was in grade school? ...:bugeye:

Matterwave said:
This...this was in grade school? ...:bugeye:

Somewhere between fifth and eighth grade, don't remember exactly.

I remember learning about different bases when I was in grade school, maybe 4th or 5th grade. This was in the late '70s, around the tail end of the "new math" era. For some reason base 7 was often used in examples, if I recall correctly. We also learned about the commie metric system before Reagan abolished it. :tongue:

Nugatory said:
Many years ago, when one of my daughters was in grade school... Over dinner she asked me what was the most "interesting" base for a number system.

I answered ##-2##, because ##1+1=110## and you can get the rest of arithmetic from there.

What I didn't know was that the question was prompted by a school homework assignment: Choose a radix and demonstrate worked addition, subtraction, multiplication, and long division problems in that radix. She pulled it off, although the long division algorithm is not deterministic - when dividing ##A## by ##B##, having ##nB\le{A}## and ##(n+1)B\gt{A}## doesn't mean that subtracting ##nB## is the right next step.

-2 is interesting, can you give more examples?

1. What is an irrational number?

An irrational number is a real number that cannot be expressed as a simple fraction, meaning it has an infinite number of decimal places and cannot be written as a ratio of two integers. Examples of irrational numbers include pi (3.14159...) and the square root of 2 (1.41421...).

2. How can an irrational number be the basis of count?

Counting is typically done with whole numbers or fractions, which are rational numbers. However, irrational numbers can also be used as a basis for counting if we use approximations or decimal representations. For example, we can count using pi by using its decimal representation (3.14, 3.1415, etc.) or by rounding it to a fraction (22/7).

3. What are the limitations of using an irrational number as a basis of count?

Using irrational numbers as a basis of count can lead to inaccuracies and imprecision. This is because irrational numbers have an infinite number of decimal places and cannot be written as a precise fraction. As a result, any counting done with an irrational number will always involve some degree of estimation or rounding.

4. Are there any practical applications of using an irrational number as a basis of count?

Yes, irrational numbers are commonly used in various fields such as mathematics, physics, and engineering. They can be used to model real-world phenomena and make accurate calculations. For example, pi is used in geometry to calculate the circumference and area of a circle, and the square root of 2 is used in calculating the diagonal of a square.

5. How do we know if a number is irrational?

To determine if a number is irrational, we can try to express it as a fraction. If it cannot be written as a fraction, then it is irrational. Another way is to check if its decimal representation is non-repeating and non-terminating. If it is, then the number is irrational.