What type of field can have a Lorentz invariant VEV?

In summary, a scalar field does not break Poincarè invariance because it does not transform under Lorentz transformations and thus its VEV is Lorentz invariant.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
Suppose I have a field [itex]\hat{X}[/itex]...
What kind of operator should it be in order to develop a vev which doesn't break the Poincare invariance?
I am sure that a scalar field doesn't break the poincare invariance, because it doesn't transform.
However I don't know how to write it down mathematically or prove it...
Also, because I don't know how to "prove" it, I am not sure if there can exist some other [itex]X[/itex] field/operator which would keep the poincare invariance untouched after getting a vev...So why couldn't it be a fermion? or a vector field?

Is it the same as looking at the Lorentz group? So that you have the scalar in (0,0)repr, while the fermions can be in (1/2,0) or (0,1/2) and vectors in (1/2,1/2)?
But who tells me that the vacuum shouldn't be a spinor or vector?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ChrisVer said:
But who tells me that the vacuum shouldn't be a spinor or vector?

In which direction does the background point?

what is the background?

I'm sorry. I mean vacuum. In what direction does it point?

Likes 1 person
Apart from scalar fields, rank 2 tensor fields may develop a vev proportional to the metric tensor without breaking Lorentz invariance since the metric by definition is invariant.

Last edited:
I thought that a general metric breaks poincare invariance (and brings instead general coord transfs)?q
For minkowski metric, doesn't it transform like a 2nd rank tensor?

Exactly, and since the form of the metric is preserved, it looks the same in all frames. Thus, a vev proportional to the metric does not break Lorentz invariance.

is there any source dealing with such a thing (vev of the minkowski metric)? I am not even sure how the metric would act on the vacuum...

ChrisVer said:
Suppose I have a field [itex]\hat{X}[/itex]...
What kind of operator should it be in order to develop a vev which doesn't break the Poincare invariance?
I am sure that a scalar field doesn't break the poincare invariance, because it doesn't transform.
However I don't know how to write it down mathematically or prove it...
Also, because I don't know how to "prove" it, I am not sure if there can exist some other [itex]X[/itex] field/operator which would keep the poincare invariance untouched after getting a vev...So why couldn't it be a fermion? or a vector field?

A VEV coming from a scalar field is Poincarè invariant for the following reason (I'm excluding the case of the VEV being proportional to the metric since I'm not very familiar with it). Under a Lorentz transformation [itex]\Lambda[/itex] a generic field transforms as:
$$
U^\dagger(\Lambda)\phi(x)U(\Lambda)=S(\Lambda)\phi(\Lambda x),
$$
where U([itex]\Lambda[/itex]) belongs to the representation of the Lorentz group acting on the physical states while [itex]S(\Lambda)[/itex] belongs to the representation acting on the operators.

The vacuum is clearly Lorentz invariant. If you want for your VEV to be Lorentz invariant it must be:
$$
\langle 0|\phi(x)|0\rangle=\langle 0|\phi(\Lambda x)|0\rangle,
$$
however, because of the invariance of the vacuum:
$$
\langle 0|\phi(x)|0\rangle=\langle 0|U^\dagger(\Lambda)\phi(x)U(\Lambda)|0\rangle=S(\Lambda)\langle 0|\phi(\Lambda x)|0\rangle,
$$
and so it must be [itex]S=1[/itex] which is true for a scalar field.

Likes 1 person

What is Poincare Invariance of vacuum?

Poincare Invariance of vacuum is a fundamental concept in theoretical physics that states that the laws of physics should remain unchanged under Poincare transformations, which include translations, rotations, and boosts.

Why is Poincare Invariance of vacuum important?

Poincare Invariance of vacuum is important because it is a fundamental principle of modern physics that helps to explain the symmetry of physical laws and the behavior of particles.

How is Poincare Invariance of vacuum related to special relativity?

Poincare Invariance of vacuum is closely related to special relativity, which is a theory that describes the laws of physics in inertial frames of reference. Special relativity is based on the principle of Poincare Invariance of vacuum, which means that the laws of physics should be the same in all inertial frames of reference.

Can Poincare Invariance of vacuum be violated?

Poincare Invariance of vacuum is a fundamental principle of modern physics, and there is currently no evidence to suggest that it can be violated. However, some theories, such as string theory, suggest that it may be possible to violate Poincare Invariance of vacuum at very high energies or in extreme conditions.

What are the implications of Poincare Invariance of vacuum for the study of the universe?

Poincare Invariance of vacuum has important implications for our understanding of the universe, as it helps to explain the symmetries and patterns observed in the laws of physics. It also plays a crucial role in the development of theories, such as quantum field theory, that aim to unify the fundamental forces of nature.