Electric field without charge?

In summary: Dear ZapperZ, Thanks for your reply and bearing my such stupid question, but still i can,t believe how single wiggling charge (off course very large) spread it own information( in the form of EM wave) up to thousands of kilometre, without aids of medium.No! that's why in initiated such classical question. Inverse square law doesn't permit such lines of force to go large distance for example Van de Graaff generator, how long you feel the influence of such large charge in the form of lines of force.And i believe due to movement of charge magnetic field has to play great role for spreading disturbances.Inverse square law doesn't permit such lines of force to
mdn
hi all,
this question arises in my mind because, electromagnetic wave travel even in vacuum and we says that electromagnetic wave associated with electric field and magnetic field. now the questions is where is charge in medium, to say electric field?

Physics news on Phys.org
mdn said:
hi all,
this question arises in my mind because, electromagnetic wave travel even in vacuum and we says that electromagnetic wave associated with electric field and magnetic field. now the questions is where is charge in medium, to say electric field?

I wiggle some charge at position r=0. At r=20 km, you detect the EM field from it. Where is the charge?

This is not a trick question.

Zz.

you hide that charge as well as electric field, how can i detect ?.

mdn said:
you hide that charge as well as electric field, how can i detect ?.
No one is hiding anything.

It means only one person has eyes and all others blind!

mdn said:
It means only one person has eyes and all others blind!

I have no idea what is going on here. You do know that you can detect EM radiation such as radio waves using an antenna, don't you? So what is hiding here?

You seem to thing that a region of space must locally have charge for there to be EM field. I'm trying to show you that that is false by demonstrating something which you already know and USE! Nothing is being hidden here!

Zz.

Dear ZapperZ,
Thanks for your reply and bearing my such stupid question, but still i can,t believe how single wiggling charge (off course very large) spread it own information( in the form of EM wave) up to thousands of kilometre, without aids of medium.

mdn said:
I can't believe how single wiggling charge (of course very large) spread it own information( in the form of EM wave) up to thousands of kilometre, without aids of medium.

Ignore the wiggling for a moment... Do you agree that if the charge were not moving it would be able to spread its static electrical field through space? Now, what happens to that field if you do move the charge?

Nugatory said:
Ignore the wiggling for a moment... Do you agree that if the charge were not moving it would be able to spread its static electrical field through space? Now, what happens to that field if you do move the charge?
No! that's why in initiated such classical question. Inverse square law doesn't permit such lines of force to go large distance for example Van de Graaff generator, how long you feel the influence of such large charge in the form of lines of force.
and i believe due to movement of charge magnetic field has to play great role for spreading disturbances.

mdn said:
Inverse square law doesn't permit such lines of force to go large distance for example Van de Graaff generator

The inverse square law goes "hand in hand" with the lines of force extending straight outwards from the source to infinity. One is commonly used to derive the other in simple introductory presentations of electrostatics.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverse-square_law (note especially the diagram at the top of the page)

mdn said:
Dear ZapperZ,
Thanks for your reply and bearing my such stupid question, but still i can,t believe how single wiggling charge (off course very large) spread it own information( in the form of EM wave) up to thousands of kilometre, without aids of medium.

mdn said:
No! that's why in initiated such classical question. Inverse square law doesn't permit such lines of force to go large distance for example Van de Graaff generator, how long you feel the influence of such large charge in the form of lines of force.
and i believe due to movement of charge magnetic field has to play great role for spreading disturbances.

This is puzzling. What is it that you "can't believe" here? What are you using as your "belief"? Don't Maxwell equations and experimental evidence trump your belief?

Zz.

1. What is an electric field without charge?

An electric field without charge is a region of space where the electric potential is constant. This means that there is no net charge present in that region, but there is still a force acting on any charged particles within the field.

2. Can an electric field exist without charge?

Yes, an electric field can exist without charge. This is because an electric field is created by the presence of electric charges, but it can also exist in a region where there is no net charge present.

3. How is an electric field without charge created?

An electric field without charge can be created by placing two or more charged objects near each other, canceling out their electric fields to create a region of constant potential. It can also be created by induction, where a charged object induces a field in a nearby neutral object.

4. What is the difference between an electric field with and without charge?

An electric field with charge is created by the presence of net charges, while an electric field without charge is created by the arrangement of charges in a way that results in a constant potential. Additionally, an electric field without charge does not exert a force on other electric charges, while an electric field with charge does.

5. Can an object be affected by an electric field without charge?

Yes, an object can still be affected by an electric field without charge. This is because an object with a net electric charge will experience a force in an electric field, regardless of whether the field was created by that object or not. Additionally, an electric field can also influence the orientation of polar molecules, even if the overall charge is neutral.