The Cost of Mega Structures: Are They Really Worth It?

• Thread starter Pengwuino
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Structures
In summary, the machine is very expensive and it is doubtful that it would ever be used to take down Godzilla. It is mainly used for mining purposes.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
http://img222.imageshack.us/my.php?loc=img222&image=86zg.jpg

Now... that monster also known as the first mobile skyscraper.. costs a small fortune... or well, a large fortune... very large... $100,000,000.

Now I must ask with things like these... why are they built? Now I could hear things like "they are more efficient" or "they boost profits" etc etc... but I think to myself... $100,000,000. I mean, does this thing really replace more then $100,000,000 worth of equipment and do a faster and better job? I've also seen huuuuuuuuuuuuuuge ships and they say its more efficient and cost effective... and of course, I think "How can something whose cost is some countries GDP's be cost effective?". I've also seen ships that could actually move entire oil rigs. Now... this stuff is just absolutely awe inspiring to see and supposedly there all "worth it". Now are these things really worth it or are people really putting a value on sheer shock and awe?

Physics news on Phys.org
Man, I would love to attack and take over a small country with that machine.

How is that a skyscraper? And that circular blade thing looks way too big to be usable, unless it's like a huge lawn tiller. It looks cool though.

Oh that's its name. Gotcha.

Jelfish said:
Oh that's its name. Gotcha.

It's not really a name, it just looks like it to me :P Its 317 feet tall.

Us east-coasters think of something much more specific when hearing the word "skyscraper" :biggrin:

Pengwuino said:
why are they built?
DUHH! because it looks cool. and to fuction as a first line of defense vs. godzilla.

inha said:
DUHH! because it looks cool. and to fuction as a first line of defense vs. godzilla.

Sounds like those Germans are well-prepared! I know I wouldn't take that thing on if i were a giant green lizard.

Pengwuino said:
Now I could hear things like "they are more efficient" or "they boost profits" etc etc... but I think to myself... $100,000,000. I mean, does this thing really replace more then $100,000,000 worth of equipment and do a faster and better job?
I suspect the savings is tied to time. If you put that thing to work for a year is can probably do what would take 20 years worth of work done by pre-existing methods. They have to figure out what the other equipment would cost them, if they used conventional means, over the time conventional means would take. Taking inflation into account, this probably comes out to way more than they spend with this machine.

It's very unlikely it would ever have to be used against Godzilla, though. Statistically, non-Japanese nations are about 90% more likely to be attacked by some other giant mutation which Godzilla is then later called into take care of.

Now... that monster also known as the first mobile skyscraper..

Hm. My first thought was that it must have a weakness to lightning magic.

Sad.

I wonder if it comes with automatic, air conditioning, power windows, and traction control.:smile:

Actually those monsters are used in open pit strip mining. There goes the neighborhood.

Last edited:
That is the big earthmover built by Krupp. It was being moved from one mine site to another. Along the way, it would appear that the bucket wheel was engaged and that big machine scooped up a large bulldozer. See -
www.up.ac.za/organizations/movup/images/minefun/WhereismyDozer.pps[/URL] (save target as) and then watch.

Some more BIG stuff - [PLAIN]http://www.up.ac.za/organizations/movup/mine.php?SessionID=

Last edited by a moderator:
These machines are built by companies, not governments. Yes they are cost effective or they wouldn't be built.
I had a job at a gold mine one summer. The mine was brand new and hadn't started mining yet. They bought one of those monster shovels, which showed up in several pieces. They bought it used and my job was to take a putty knife and scrape the grease off of the pieces. I would climb into these huge boxes and gears and go home every day black from head to toe. I did get quite a few naps in though, no one wanted to climb in and check on me.

tribdog said:
These machines are built by companies, not governments. Yes they are cost effective or they wouldn't be built.
I had a job at a gold mine one summer. The mine was brand new and hadn't started mining yet. They bought one of those monster shovels, which showed up in several pieces. They bought it used and my job was to take a putty knife and scrape the grease off of the pieces. I would climb into these huge boxes and gears and go home every day black from head to toe. I did get quite a few naps in though, no one wanted to climb in and check on me.

It's built by a german manufactorer called Krupp. Sounds like a peaceful job with nice privacy :D

yeah, well the mine I worked at was called "Marigold" and it was peaceful

that big earthmover is spectacular, like something out of sci-fi

every so often there's a show on tv here on big machines like those. i saw a big excavator that works in Canada's tarsands that has the biggest bucket in the world. i think i could fill up a terex titan dumptruck in 2 dumps or something. another one was a machine that traveled along a railway, tore it up, levelled/graded the path & laid down new rails as it moved along. it could do 1/4 mile in 8hrs or something ridiculous like that.

That german machine was on a Discovery chnnel show once. It was something like Monster Machines or something like that. Pretty impressive especially when they showed just one of the buckets next to one of those huge dump trucks mining companies use. Truly impresssive.

What are mega structures?

Mega structures are large-scale constructions that are typically designed and built for a specific purpose, such as transportation, energy production, or entertainment. These structures are often complex and require significant resources and time to build.

Why are mega structures built?

Mega structures are built for a variety of reasons, including meeting a growing demand for resources, enhancing economic growth, or pushing the limits of engineering and technology. They can also serve as landmarks and tourist attractions, bringing in revenue and boosting local economies.

What are the benefits of mega structures?

The benefits of mega structures can include increased efficiency and productivity, improved living and working conditions, and advancement in technology and innovation. They can also create jobs and stimulate economic growth.

What are the risks of mega structures?

Mega structures come with significant risks, including high costs, potential environmental impacts, and potential safety hazards during construction and throughout their lifespan. There are also concerns about the long-term maintenance and sustainability of these structures.

Are mega structures worth the investment?

The answer to this question depends on various factors such as the purpose of the structure, its potential benefits and risks, and the resources and time required for construction. It is essential to carefully consider all these factors before deciding if a mega structure is worth the investment.