A Student's Guide to Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time

In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of books about physics and calculus that the speakers recommend for a beginner. The book "Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea" by Charles Seife is highly praised for its accessibility to the layman. Other recommended books include "A Briefer History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, books by Simon Singh, and "Time Travel in Einstein's Universe" by Richard Gott. The conversation also touches on the definition of a layman and the purpose of popular science books. Overall, the speakers agree that pop-sci books are a great way to get interested in a field and determine one's level of interest.
Jeff Ford
My birthday is coming up and I'm planning to ask for books. I've just returned to school and am in my first year of calculus and physics. For those of you who have read this book, is there much background required to understand it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jeff Ford said:
My birthday is coming up and I'm planning to ask for books. I've just returned to school and am in my first year of calculus and physics. For those of you who have read this book, is there much background required to understand it?

No, you don't really need to know anything.

Well I doubt your mum could read it...

wouldn't say you really need to know anything (though if you're not too confident there's always A Briefer History of Time). get some Simon Singh books he's easy to understand and to a beginner, rather informative.

If you're looking for physics and something a bit more technical, Brian Greene's books on string theory and the like are good. too many to list.

I'm reading Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea ~Charles Seife at the moment and its quite good.

fasterthanjoao said:
wouldn't say you really need to know anything (though if you're not too confident there's always A Briefer History of Time). get some Simon Singh books he's easy to understand and to a beginner, rather informative.
If you're looking for physics and something a bit more technical, Brian Greene's books on string theory and the like are good. too many to list.
I'm reading Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea ~Charles Seife at the moment and its quite good.

Yes, I agree. I read Zero, and it's a great book.

Hawkings preface claims it is intended for the layman, however being a high school physics/math student I found it fairly inaccessible as you get deeper. The pretty pictures painted are fine, but the theories discussed are quite heavy.

Very basic stuff, just remember this book is written for the layman.

I still don't think it's a bedtime read - well maybe it could perplex you to sleep.

JasonRox said:
Yes, I agree. I read Zero, and it's a great book.

Indeed it is! :smile:

As for the OP, I found "Universe in a nutshell" and easier read than BHOT but there is some content overlap. They were actually the first two pop-sci books I ever read.

i didn't really like a brief history of time. I think that was mostly because by the time I finally got round to reading it, i'd already read several other books covering the same sort of stuff so it ended up coming across to me as, well, basic and boring.

one of the first pop-sci books I read was "time travel in einsteins universe" by Richard Gott. It was a few years ago last I read it, but I remember it being great; very well written, informative on the serious stuff and packed with plenty of useless (but interesting) information too. I felt it helped me get quite a bit more interested in my astronomy and such.

pop-sci books are great when you're just starting out IMO, I reckon that they're a really good way of finding out how interested in a field you actually are, avoiding making the wrong choices in classes at university etc. Plus they make a geek of you, d^_^b

Tx said:
IVery basic stuff, just remember this book is written for the layman..

That's ridiculous. A layman is someone with little or no knowledge about the subject, not an advanced high school student doing physics, or an undergrad.

Mulder said:
That's ridiculous. A layman is someone with little or no knowledge about the subject, not an advanced high school student doing physics, or an undergrad.

It's a book written for the 'nonscientist' to give an introduction to the modern theories of physics, I said that it's written for the layman cause it doesn't require years of hard maths and physics to understand the point of each chapter and what he is trying to explain in the book.

brief history of time is for the laymen ...i don't know if ur a laymen or not..
well at least you know that's its about physics ...read it, its good incomprehensible fun.(joke...enjoy the book)

1. What is the purpose of "A Student's Guide to Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time"?

The purpose of "A Student's Guide to Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" is to provide a simplified and more accessible explanation of the complex concepts discussed in Hawking's book. It is meant to help students and readers better understand the ideas and theories presented in "A Brief History of Time".

2. Who is the target audience for this guide?

The target audience for this guide is primarily students and readers who are interested in learning about the concepts discussed in "A Brief History of Time" but may find the original book too difficult to understand. It is also useful for anyone looking for a more concise and simplified explanation of Hawking's theories.

3. How is this guide different from "A Brief History of Time"?

This guide is different from "A Brief History of Time" in that it breaks down complex concepts and theories into simpler and more understandable explanations. It also includes illustrations and examples to help readers grasp the concepts more easily. Additionally, it is written in a more conversational and approachable tone compared to the original book.

4. Do I need to read "A Brief History of Time" before reading this guide?

While it is not necessary to read "A Brief History of Time" before reading this guide, it may be helpful to have some background knowledge on the subject. This guide can serve as a supplement or companion to the original book, but it can also be read on its own for a basic understanding of the concepts discussed in "A Brief History of Time".

5. Is this guide endorsed by Stephen Hawking?

Yes, "A Student's Guide to Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" is authorized by Stephen Hawking himself. The author, Eric Schulman, worked closely with Hawking to ensure the accuracy and clarity of the explanations in this guide. Hawking also wrote the foreword for the book, expressing his support for this simplified version of his work.