And for my next trick more ideal gases questions. the joy.

In summary, a cylinder with a volume of 2x10^-3 m^3 contains a gas at a pressure of 1.50MNm^-2 and a temperature of 300K. Using the equation n=(pV)/(RT), we can calculate the number of moles to be 1.2033694. To find the number of molecules, we multiply the number of moles by Avogadro's constant, resulting in 7.224283x10^23 molecules. When calculating the actual mass of the gas with a molar mass of 0.032kg, we get a mass of 38 grams. To find the mass of one molecule, we use the equation actual mass = number of mo
QueenFisher
as promised:

a cylinder of volume 2x10^-3 m^3 contains a gas at a pressure of 1.50MNm^-2 and at a temperature of 300K.

calculate number of moles. i think I'm ok with this bit:
n=(pV)/(RT)
=(1.5x10^6)x(2x10^-3) all divided by 8.31x300
gives 1.2033694...

calculate number of molecules.
number of molecules=number of moles x avocado's constant
=1.2033694 x 6.023x10^23
=7.224283x10^23

calculate the actual mass of the gas if the molar mass is 0.032kg
actual mass = number of moles x molecular mass
=32 x 1.2033694
=38.5078

now calculate the mass of one molecule of the gas.
erk! which equation do i use? i can't use the half-m-c-squared-bar ones cos i don't know speeds or anything!
help is appreciated.

i have yet another one! watch this space.

Physics news on Phys.org
Watch your significant figures. Really.
Also, use the units. The mass is not 38, but 38 kg.

So, you know the mass of the entire gas and you know how many molecules there are in the gas, but you cannot calculate the mass per molecule?

no the mass is 38 grams cos i converted the 0.032kg to grams when i put it in the equation.

but anyway i think that has solved my problem thanks!

1. What are ideal gases?

Ideal gases are theoretical gases that follow the ideal gas law, which describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of gas. They have no intermolecular forces and their particles occupy no volume.

2. How are ideal gases different from real gases?

Real gases deviate from the ideal gas law due to intermolecular interactions and finite volume of gas particles. At high pressures and low temperatures, real gases behave more like ideal gases.

3. What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature in Kelvin. It relates the four variables of an ideal gas and can be used to calculate one variable if the other three are known.

4. How do ideal gas laws apply to everyday life?

Ideal gas laws are used in many practical applications, such as in the design of gas storage tanks, in weather forecasting, and in the production of industrial gases. They also help to explain the behavior of gases in everyday situations, such as the expansion of a balloon when heated.

5. Can real gases ever behave like ideal gases?

At high pressures and low temperatures, real gases can behave like ideal gases. This is known as the ideal gas limit. As the pressure and temperature approach zero, the gas particles have less energy and their interactions become less significant, making them behave more like ideal gases.