Bush trip to Mars a red herring

• News
  • Thread starter Loren Booda
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mars
In summary, President Bush suggested a manned Mars trip and has taken advantage of a loophole in the law to claim ownership of the moon and other planets. He is an expert on space law and policy and has taught at various universities. If you are on your land on the moon and President Bush thinks you have WMD, you will care.
cut & paste from another post

Mr Parsons said this comment is more appropriate here ...

"SelfAdjoint also mentioned Karl Rove (in another post); I just read up on him - given that
a) this is an election year in the US,
b) that Texas and Florida are important to the Republicans,
c) the Bush Mars initiative should bring in lots of votes for that party in those states,
d) there was no advance signaling of this initiative,
e) Bush has shown no interest in science or space before, and
f) the Mars initiative will not be funded out of any Bush budget (it will come later)
... it's hard to see this as anything but a deeply cynical move (I'm resisting the urge to say something about a certain Middle-Eastern country).

Shall I compare thee to ... a pig? Just as likely to fly."

The Iraq reference? Bush et al have shown, beyond any doubt, that they are quite prepared to tell bald-faced lies (which result in the deaths of thousands) to suit their objectives of securing oil supplies (thanks to Russ for this); what's a little disingenuousness over Mars between advisors? After all, the only people who will be hurt will be a few hundred astronomers and planetary scientists; oh, and some disappointment among young and old science-lovers. Small price to pay for better Republican control.

I'm very depressed by this news; normally I see ponies everywhere

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by Nereid
(SNIP) Mr Parsons said this comment is more appropriate here ...
(SNoP)
Hummm I had said "Politics and World Affairs", but not this specific thread, but it does seem to fit, just that, I was just about to announce that I had discovered (and patented) the Holy Grail of all Bi !Nth opportunities, the Patent rights to the original structure of the universe, of which everything in the universe is made of, hence My declaration that I (Mr. Robin Parsons AT # !1 "No" space) am sole proprietor of everything material/physical/structural{ly designed out of my original model} in the entirety of the Universe...but your getting in my way Nereid!

Originally posted by Mr. Robin Parsons
Hummm I had said "Politics and World Affairs", but not this specific thread, but it does seem to fit, just that, I was just about to announce that I had discovered (and patented) the Holy Grail of all Bi !Nth opportunities, the Patent rights to the original structure of the universe, of which everything in the universe is made of, hence My declaration that I (Mr. Robin Parsons AT # !1 "No" space) am sole proprietor of everything material/physical/structural{ly designed out of my original model} in the entirety of the Universe...but your getting in my way Nereid!

I want to be Mr. Robin Parsons' best friend.

Mr. Robin Parsons, you are truly a permanent resident of the ozone!
(jeez, and MY friends call ME whacky... :wink:)

Originally posted by Tsunami
Mr. Robin Parsons, you are truly a permanent resident of the ozone!
(jeez, and MY friends call ME whacky... :wink:)
Must be a typo , you said OZone, not "No" Zone/(AKA 'space')
Whew!

P.S. Careful how you address me there Bud , I just acquired this little right back there, and well, what is your breathing rate, Hummm ten cents per (x)liters of air ^ population of planet ^ Average rate per person + tax = How much? send your tributes to...

Originally posted by Loren Booda
What credit should President Bush receive for suggesting a manned Mars trip?

Strongly depends on whether it gets funded or not, I suppose.

Ya cool, but I have the "mineral rights" so if you need to use anything beneath your feet, well send chq. or Money orders C/O "Saturnia mining Co" or simply insert cash in the slot provided...

You can have Saturn's mining rights...it's just a light-weight planet anyway. I'll take the mining rights to Neptune where it rains diamonds...
http://www.berkeley.edu/news/berkeleyan/1999/1006/diamonds.html

Someone else can have Uranus and be the butt of the jokes.

Originally posted by Phobos
Strongly depends on whether it gets funded or not, I suppose.
Yes and one of the points made was that it wouldn't be out of money that he would be, then, accountable towards...it is not exactly a new Idea, but coming from a President it does carry more thought...but the Title indicates the Originating Authors belief (Loren Booda) that it was a "Red Herring" hence what followed fell into proprietary rights to the end result of such ventures, something that I had wanted to point out as being probably different then what most think of "off of the cuff" so to speak, to be there, on Mars, and live, growing food, and reliant upon only 'self sufficiency' not what would be called a tourist trip. (although it would probably make for a great adventure, as a tourist trip!) {Go figure!}

You can have Saturn's mining rights...it's just a light-weight planet anyway. I'll take the mining rights to Neptune where it rains diamonds...
Phobos, when DeBeers finds out about you, you'll be toast. :wink:

Interesting article BTW, thanks!

Oo. Oo.
Evo, you can have Mr. Robin Parsons. I want to be PHOBOS' best friend!

I believe jimmy p has Uranus covered. :wink: :wink: Ar ar ar...

edit: You know... cover yer anus... HEY! Maybe we should change CYA to CU! (OK, sorry. I'll stop now.)

Last edited:
Oo. Oo.
Evo, you can have Mr. Robin Parsons. I want to be PHOBOS' best friend!
Noooo, I want to be Phobos's best friend. Phobos...do you like chocolate?

I believe jimmy p has Uranus covered. :wink: :wink: Ar ar ar...
Oh dear, I did not understand the full extent of chopnik's meaning...
Originally posted by Chopnik
Ok, well i'll lay claim on Uranus too, no-one will want to mine UP THERE!

Originally posted by Evo
Noooo, I want to be Phobos's best friend. Phobos...do you like chocolate?
BACK! GET BACK! (*cracks whip*)
HE'S MINE, I TELL YOU! I HAVE DOCUMENTED FIRST CLAIM! I HAVE CHOCOLATES, TOO, PHOBOS!

Oh dear, I did not understand the full extent of chopnik's meaning...
A senior moment?

A senior moment?
There are actually vitamin supplements on the market called "senior moment", perhaps I need some...:frown:

Didn't read the link yet, but you missed it as I have very clearly Claimed to own ALL MATTER IN THE UNIVERSE! so if you want Neptune, please,...line up! (license rights to all processes will be made available, shortly, right after I figure out the Fee schedule(s))

Originally posted by Evo
There are actually vitamin supplements on the market called "senior moment", perhaps I need some...:frown:
And your daughter's but 16? I think not.

Thanks Nereid. :smile:

Originally posted by Evo
Do they give discounts for group or bulk purchases?

And your daughter's but 16? I think not.
suck up... She's OLD, man! Almost as old as me. (shut up. stop that maniacal laughter! STOP IT, I say!)

Do they give discounts for group or bulk purchases?
Shall we go in on a bulk purchase? :smile:

She's OLD, man! Almost as old as me. (shut up. stop that maniacal laughter! STOP IT, I say!)
As a "former" good friend of mine once told me..."You know, we're not getting any younger OR better looking".

BTW Nereid, a truck load of chocolate is coming your way...

Bulk sounds good. Do they have a long shelf life? Not that I'LL last all that long... Specially the way I crashed on my ski this past summer...

And she is your 'former' friend because of what she said? YIKES! Guess I'd better watch my mouth! But, HEY! At least you didn't get a birthday card that said "On your birthday, may no one look at your dog, and then at your hairstyle and say OH! WHAT A *CUTE* IDEA!"

LOL at all of the old People!

i agree with andy. i laugh at your age. (apart from the people that are nice to me...chocolates all round! :wink: )

You two ever heard of Karma? It's not nice to make fun of old people. 'Sides - I could ski BOTH your butts off in a heartbeat!

Chopnik, you're in deep doodoo with your adopted mom.:wink:

Kar...Ma? isn't that some sort of curry? my adopted mom isn't old! . Its not nice to make fun of old people? well they always insulted us as kids, ragamuffins, rapscallions, scallywags, whippersnappers, little s**ts... its about time they get their cummupence.

I think it would be quite amusing to watch me ski, i think a new born lamb would have more grasp of it then i would... stay on its feet longer anyway! [b(]

Originally posted by jimmy p
i agree with andy. i laugh at your age.
What, you guys aren't going to get any older? :wink:

(apart from the people that are nice to me...chocolates all round!) :wink:
Too late, the damage has been done. [b(] Young whipper snappers. You two get close enough & I'll hit you both with my cane!

Are we off topic?

Originally posted by jimmy p
my adopted mom isn't old!
SON! I knew you were just momentarily led astray by Andy!

Originally posted by Evo
SON! I knew you were just momentarily led astray by Andy!
Yes, Chopnik. Do not trust anyone who looks like George W. Bush!

Originally posted by Evo
Are we off topic?
No, we're still talking about Bush...

I was waiting in the shadows to see if I would set a personal record for replies - ironically almost all off-topic - to a thread that I started.

I was waiting in the shadows to see if I would set a personal record for replies - ironically almost all off-topic - to a thread that I started.
So did I blow your record by mentioning Bush again?:frown:

aww mom, i was only joking! me n andy are still allowed to play together, right?

(STOP HAVING A DIRTY MIND PEOPLE [that does mean you too Tsunami])

Ya sorta 'gotta' admit Loren, that your original entrance does allow for some latitude in the discourse... Your titular intro
Bush trip to Mars a red herring *Notice* No question mark, it is a statement...but...
Followed by your postulate...
What credit should President Bush receive for suggesting a manned Mars trip? Does he scheme to one-up Kennedy, evade failed policy, or nationalize the world (all for ~$500,000,000,000)?
Four questions, from which we seemed to have opted for the "Nationalizing the World" Well, our version according to the current scheme of 'legalisms' repsective of property Rights...so here's yet another responce to add to your search for a title in responcivness's...

My original post was genuine but seemed to become hijacked. Basically, I thought most responses there just an exercise in lame humor rather than a discourse on "nationalizing the world."

What political motives do you think George W. Bush intended when he announced the program for a manned Mars mission? Do you think he has an unselfish interest in the science and humanity of the project?

Loren Booda wrote:What political motives do you think George W. Bush intended when he announced the program for a manned Mars mission? Do you think he has an unselfish interest in the science and humanity of the project?
Purely cynical - how to get a few thousand more votes (esp in Florida and Texas) without really trying. Hey Loren, I posted my opinion earlier in this thread.

Later, based on something mouseonmoon (I think) said, somewhere in Astronomy, I revised my opinion: following Condie's counsel about how the US's star has begun to fade (China is the new big boy), Dubya wants a nice page in the history books, preferably better than JFK's (but without getting shot). So, what the Moon was to JFK (beat that Ruskies!), so Mars is to GW (in your face, Hu!).

Mars wasn't in the SOU address, so maybe Karl's focus groups weren't so maximum bullish on Mars?

Purely cynical - how to get a few thousand more votes (esp in Florida and Texas) without really trying. Hey Loren, I posted my opinion earlier in this thread.

Later, based on something mouseonmoon (I think) said, somewhere in Astronomy, I revised my opinion: following Condie's counsel about how the US's star has begun to fade (China is the new big boy), Dubya wants a nice page in the history books, preferably better than JFK's (but without getting shot). So, what the Moon was to JFK (beat that Ruskies!), so Mars is to GW (in your face, Hu!).

Mars wasn't in the SOU address, so maybe Karl's focus groups weren't so maximum bullish on Mars?

Both the initiatives that week, Mars and the immigration plan, were pitched to make the president look like a big historic figure in the eyes of the voters. Both of them backfired. Mars looks like a joke to everybody but a tiny sliver of space enthusiasts, and immigration has got the Republican core up in arms. Bummer for Rove.