Small electric generator, driven by a small engine shaft

In summary: So you're essentially trying to run a 1500mAh battery off of a 1/4 horsepower engine. Not really feasible.
idarab
Hello all, I'm new on the forum and will be spending a lot of time here I'm sure, as I am starting a senior design project for my electrical engineering degree.

I was wondering if anyone was familiar with a small electric generator, that can be powered by a small RC engine, similar to this..
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/h/hpig5101.jpg

I basically need to get a voltage out of a generator, but only have gasoline as my source of power (the gas engine.)

Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!
-Abe

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This is what I get when I click your link:
Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /image/h/hpig5101.jpg on this server.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/2.0.46 (Red Hat) Server at www2.gpmd.com Port 80

Ditto that.
I don't know what size of engine you mean. There are definitely small generators out there, but I don't know if they're suitable for running from something like that. I'm thinking specifically of the type that we used to have on our bicycles that was driven by a friction wheel on the tire and used to power a headlight and taillight. I think that they put out about 6 volts.

Last edited:
Linky no worky.

What does your project actually entail? There are hundreds of small, gasoline powered electricity generators available currently. What does your project require you to design?

most DC motors will work as a generator
as long as it has magnets and brushes
gear/pullys to get right volts at a given rpm

don't know what hp. motor you have.
any Electrical Motor AC can be used as a generator. any motor from small fan motors and up (don't need to be brush type )
if the motor has a ating of 120 volt @ .10 amp turn the motor at the motor rated rpm. it will genertor 120 volt @ .10 amp.
if the load is to large, the output will just drop to zero volts
just a note
if you have a 5hp gas motor it will drive a 3 hp elec motor single phase or three phase
hope this helped

Actually a brushless motor would make an AC alternator, whereas a brush type motor would make a DC generator. No idea whether that matters for this application or not (rectification may even be part of the project?).

An AC motor would also have to meet one of these criteria to produce electricity:
- Be a permanent magnet motor.
- Retain sufficient residual magnetism.
- Be connected to current to establish magnetism (or at least long enough to re-establish residual magnetism).

moo

Well IC engines start off from the size of .022 cc which is run on nitro methane. 1cc onwards engines are available for the petrol version. You can use anything bigger than this. but we need to know your design requirements to tell you any more stuff. YOu can also get very small generators. But why not use dynamos. They come in even smaller variants.

Hello,I'm new on the forum.
I have a similar question as idarab.I was wondering if you knew of a small dynamo(around the sise of a fist) that could produce the same amount of power as a 1500 mAh,7.2V DC 6-cell NiCd battery when hooked up to a small RC engine ( similar to this...http://www.lookthru.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dzIuZ3BtZC5jb20vaW1hZ2UvaC9ocGlnNTEwMS5qcGc%3D&hl=3ed )
I want to convert my rc car(super clod buster kit) to run on a gasoline powered generator as the battery runs out too fast.
All suggestions are appreciated.

vince086

Last edited:
Kind of over engineering but...connect the nitro engine to a propulsion electric then wire it to the motor in the truck. Dumas makes a good 12v boat motor that should generate a few volts.

But why not just switch it to direct glow fuel ... or is this a "I wonder if I can" project?

vince086 said:
Hello,I'm new on the forum.
I have a similar question as idarab.I was wondering if you knew of a small dynamo(around the sise of a fist) that could produce the same amount of power as a 1500 mAh,7.2V DC 6-cell NiCd battery when hooked up to a small RC engine ( similar to this...http://www.lookthru.com/index.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dzIuZ3BtZC5jb20vaW1hZ2UvaC9ocGlnNTEwMS5qcGc%3D&hl=3ed )
I want to convert my rc car(super clod buster kit) to run on a gasoline powered generator as the battery runs out too fast.
All suggestions are appreciated.

vince086
That link doesn't work either...

I don't know how small you mean for a "small" RC engine, but I'd be surprised if there were any out there that would put out less than what you get from a 1500mAh NiCd pack in 10 minutes or so (typical for an rc car).

The numbers you gave equate to 10.8 w-h or 64.8 watts for 10 min.

Gas (nitromethane) rc engines don't get much smaller than 1/4 horsepower, which is 186 watts. And that's output, whereas the battery is input power.

http://www.mountaintrains.com/rc_engines.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what the HP rating for one would be, but Cox's old .049 has to be less than a 1/4 HP. I'll have to do some looking around.

EDIT: I actually found a set of power curves for the .049s. They maxed out at about 60 W:
cox_performance_2.gif

Last edited:

1. How does a small electric generator work?

A small electric generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy. This is done through the use of a small engine shaft that rotates a magnetic field around a set of copper coils. As the magnetic field moves, it induces a current in the coils, producing electricity.

2. What is the purpose of a small electric generator?

The purpose of a small electric generator is to provide a portable and reliable source of electricity. It can be used in various applications such as powering small appliances, providing backup power during emergencies, or for recreational activities like camping.

3. What is the difference between a small electric generator and a large one?

The main difference between a small electric generator and a large one is their size and power output. Small generators typically have a power output of less than 10 kilowatts, while large generators can produce hundreds or even thousands of kilowatts. Small generators also tend to be more portable and less expensive than large ones.

4. Can a small electric generator power a whole house?

It depends on the size and power output of the generator, as well as the electrical demands of the house. A small electric generator may be able to power a few essential appliances or electronic devices, but it is not typically powerful enough to supply electricity to an entire house.

5. How do I maintain a small electric generator?

Regular maintenance is crucial for the proper functioning of a small electric generator. This includes changing the oil and spark plugs, cleaning or replacing the air filter, and checking the fuel and oil levels. It is also important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and schedule for maintenance to ensure the generator's longevity.