Closed subset of a metric space

In summary, the conversation discusses proving the subset A = {f in C([0,1]); int 0^1 f(x)dx = 0} is closed in the metric space C([0,1]) with the given metric. One person suggests showing that the complement of A is open, but it is not as easy with the given metric. The other person suggests using the Jensen inequality to prove it.
r4nd0m
This seems to be a very easy excercise, but I am completely stuck:
Prove that in C([0,1]) with the metric
[tex] \rho(f,g) = (\int_0^1|f(x)-g(x)|^2 dx)^{1/2} [/tex]

a subset
[tex]A = \{f \in C([0,1]); \int_0^1 f(x) dx = 0\}[/tex] is closed.

I tried to show that the complement of A is open - it could be easily done if the metric was [tex] \rho(f,g) = sup_{x \in [0,1]}|f(x)-g(x)| [/tex] - but with the integral metric it's not that easy.

Am I missing something?
Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would attempt to show that the map f--->int f(x)dx is continuous.

And you need / not \ in your closing tex tags.

Consider if:
[tex]\left| \int_0^1 g(x)dx \right| = \epsilon[/tex]
then you might be able to show that
[tex]N_{\epsilon}(g(x)) \cap A = \emptyset[/tex]

Last edited:
Well, I tried both, but the problem is that I still miss some kind of inequality that I could use.

I mean - if I want to show the continuity for example - I have to show that:
[tex] \forall \varepsilon > 0 \quad \exists \delta >0 \quad \forall g \in C([a,b]) : \rho(f,g)<\delta \quad |\int^1_0 f(x)-g(x) dx|< \varepsilon [/tex].

But what then?
[tex]|\int^1_0 f(x) - g(x) dx| \leq \int^1_0 |f(x) - g(x)| dx [/tex]
but I miss some other inequality where I could compare it with [tex]\rho(f,g)[/tex]

Well, there is another inequality lying around. So use it That last inequality is also <=p(f,g).

Of course :rolleyes: - a little modified Cauchy-Schwartz inequality is the key.
I hate algebraic tricks :smile:
Thanks for help

It's definitely not an algebraic trick. It is an application of the Jensen inequality from analysis. You might know it from probability theory, since it just states that the variance of a random variable is positive, i.e.

E(X^2)>E(X)^2

where E is the expectation operator and X an r.v.

How did you prove it for the supremum case? If you can prove it for the supremum, this proof here is self-contained because the given metric is always less than the supremum.

1. What is a closed subset of a metric space?

A closed subset of a metric space is a subset of a metric space that contains all of its limit points. In other words, for any convergent sequence in the subset, the limit point of that sequence must also be in the subset.

2. How is a closed subset defined?

A closed subset can be defined in several ways, but one common definition is that it is a subset whose complement (the set of all points in the metric space that are not in the subset) is open.

3. What is the difference between a closed subset and an open subset?

An open subset of a metric space is one that does not contain any of its boundary points, while a closed subset contains all of its limit points. In other words, an open subset is "missing" some points, while a closed subset includes all of its points.

4. Can a closed subset be both open and closed?

In general, no. A subset of a metric space can either be open or closed, but not both. However, in some cases, a subset may be both open and closed, such as in the discrete metric space where every subset is both open and closed.

5. What are some examples of closed subsets in a metric space?

Examples of closed subsets in a metric space include the entire space itself, any finite subset, and any subset that contains all of its limit points (such as a closed interval in a real line).