HELP - Energy of a rolling sphere (no radius?)

In summary, the problem involves a solid sphere of mass 0.602 kg rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface with a translational speed of 5.18 m/s. It then encounters an incline with an angle of 34 degrees. The task is to find the total energy of the rolling sphere and the height it reaches on the incline. The equations used include KE = 1/2 m (v^2) + 1/2 I (w^2) and PE = mgh, with the given values for the moment of inertia (I) and the angle of the incline. By setting the initial energy equal to the final energy, the height can be solved for.
BlueSkyy
HELP - Energy of a rolling sphere (no radius??)

Homework Statement

A solid sphere of mass 0.602 kg rolls without slipping along a horizontal surface with a translational speed of 5.18 m/s. It comes to an incline that makes an angle of 34degrees with the horizontal surface. Neglecting energy losses due to friction,

(a) what is the total energy of the rolling sphere?
(b) to what vertical height above the horizontal surface does the sphere rise on the incline?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2 m (v^2) + 1/2 I (w^2) where I = 2/5 m (r^2)
PE = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not given a radius so I can't use the KE equation...where do I go from here?
Once I have a radius it will be much easier to solve the problem...

Physics news on Phys.org
Just call the radius "R" and keep going. :wink:

i kept "r" as a variable and came up with:
8.0766 + 0.1204 (r^2) (w^2)

but the problem asks for a specific number ( _____ J) so I can't keep the variable "r" there...

also, when they say total energy, do they mean total KE, since the ball is still in motion? I'm trying to use PE to solve for the height once I have KE solved...

BlueSkyy said:
i kept "r" as a variable and came up with:
8.0766 + 0.1204 (r^2) (w^2)

but the problem asks for a specific number ( _____ J) so I can't keep the variable "r" there...
When a sphere rolls without slipping, what's the relationship between the translational speed (v) and the angular speed (w)? (Express the full KE in terms of v and you won't see an "r".)

also, when they say total energy, do they mean total KE, since the ball is still in motion? I'm trying to use PE to solve for the height once I have KE solved...
Total energy means include everything: translational KE, rotational KE, and PE. (When it's on the horizontal surface, I would just call that level PE = 0.)

AH! I forgot!

KE(rotational) = B 1/2 m (v^2) where B = 2/5

Thank you, I figured it out now~
:)

E initial = E final
K initial translational + K initial rotational + PE initial = Same except final
is this what you mean? then solve for h on the final side?

Whome said:
E initial = E final
K initial translational + K initial rotational + PE initial = Same except final
is this what you mean? then solve for h on the final side?
That's right.

Thank you.

1. What is the energy of a rolling sphere without a radius?

The energy of a rolling sphere without a radius cannot be determined as the radius is a necessary factor in the calculation of energy. Without knowing the radius, we cannot accurately calculate the energy of the rolling sphere.

2. Can the energy of a rolling sphere without a radius be approximated?

No, the energy of a rolling sphere cannot be approximated without knowing the radius. The radius is a crucial factor in the calculation of energy and without it, any approximation would not be accurate.

3. How does the radius of a rolling sphere affect its energy?

The radius of a rolling sphere directly affects its energy. The larger the radius, the greater the energy the sphere possesses. This is because a larger radius results in a larger circumference, which means the sphere has to travel a longer distance, thus requiring more energy.

4. Is the energy of a rolling sphere without a radius always zero?

Without knowing the radius, we cannot accurately determine the energy of a rolling sphere. However, it is not safe to assume that the energy is always zero. It is possible that the sphere has a radius, but it is not given. In this case, the energy can still be calculated using other known factors.

5. Why is the radius important in the calculation of energy for a rolling sphere?

The radius is important in the calculation of energy for a rolling sphere because it affects the distance the sphere travels. The larger the radius, the longer the distance the sphere has to travel, thus requiring more energy. Additionally, the radius is also used in the moment of inertia calculation, which is a crucial factor in determining the energy of a rolling sphere.