Need assistance with Moment diagram

In summary, the shear and moment diagrams for a simply supported beam with multiple moment couples applied would have a saw blade-like shape, with shear staying constant and the moment jumping at each applied couple. The reactions at each end would be a fraction of the total moment, and the moment diagram would be zero at each end and zig-zag in between.
uber_beetle
I am familiar with what the shear and moment diagrams should look like for a simply supported beam with one moment couple located somewhere between the supports. However, I'm working with one that has multiple couples applied to it and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how it should work out.

Please consider the following:

...>...>...>
-------(--------(--------(--------

The moments are all the same size, and distance apart.

The Extent of what I know about this:
I know that if you only have one moment, the diagrams should look something like

F:
...<
------)--------

V:
0____________

M:
0_____
..._______

My Theory:
Am I right in thinking that each one of those consecutive moments would not add any shear, but would jump the line of the moment graph up by it's magnitude repeatedly leaving me with a diagram that looks like a set of steps?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
uber_beetle said:
I am familiar with what the shear and moment diagrams should look like for a simply supported beam with one moment couple located somewhere between the supports. However, I'm working with one that has multiple couples applied to it and I'm having trouble wrapping my head around how it should work out.

...>...>...>

I know that if you only have one moment, the diagrams should look something like

F:
...<
------)--------

V:
0____________

M:
0_____
..._______

My Theory:
Am I right in thinking that each one of those consecutive moments would not add any shear, but would jump the line of the moment graph up by it's magnitude repeatedly leaving me with a diagram that looks like a set of steps?

Thank you!
You are not quite on track, but close. The shear stays constant along the length of the beam(determine end reactions first). The moment along the beam jumps at each applied couple, but is not constant in betwen couples...it varies linearly with a slope equal to the shear at any given point.

uber_beetle said:

...>...>...>

F:
...<
------)--------

V:
0____________

M:
0_____
..._______

You should also realize that your original diagrams were not correct. As phanthomjay pointed out, the moment is the integral of the shear force along the beam. If v is zero, then the moment is a constant.

Ok... an update.. I'm pretty sure i got it straightened out.. but can you confirm that this thing's moment diagram would look sort of like a saw blade?

The reactions work out in my homework version as a large fraction of M... basically, if you sum them across the beam... the moment creeps up above the x-axis and finally ends with a 0 at the far right support.

uber_beetle said:
Ok... an update.. I'm pretty sure i got it straightened out.. but can you confirm that this thing's moment diagram would look sort of like a saw blade?

The reactions work out in my homework version as a large fraction of M... basically, if you sum them across the beam... the moment creeps up above the x-axis and finally ends with a 0 at the far right support.
Yes, looks like a rip saw blade; the reactions are 3M/L and -3M/L at each end, respectively; shear is constant at -3M/L; the moments are zero at each end and zig-zag below and above the x-axis in between.

1. What is a moment diagram and why is it important?

A moment diagram is a graphical representation of the bending moments along a structural element, such as a beam. It is important because it helps engineers and designers understand the internal forces and stresses within a structure, which is crucial for ensuring its strength and stability.

2. How do I create a moment diagram?

To create a moment diagram, you will need the external forces acting on the structure, as well as the dimensions and material properties of the structural element. You can then use equations and diagrams specific to the type of structure and loading to determine the bending moments at different points along the element.

3. What are the different types of moment diagrams?

The most common types of moment diagrams are shear and bending moment diagrams. A shear moment diagram shows the shear forces along a structural element, while a bending moment diagram shows the bending moments. Both diagrams are necessary for understanding the internal forces within a structure.

4. Can I use software to create a moment diagram?

Yes, there are various structural analysis and design software programs available that can assist with creating moment diagrams. However, it is important to have a basic understanding of the underlying principles and assumptions used in these programs to ensure accurate results.

5. Are there any common mistakes to avoid when creating a moment diagram?

Yes, some common mistakes to avoid include not properly considering all external forces and loading, using incorrect equations or diagrams for the specific type of structure, and not considering the effects of connections and supports. It is also important to double-check all calculations and diagrams for accuracy.