How can weight and motion combine to create torque?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of using weight, motion, and gravity to create torque and produce work. The idea involves using a balance beam and a rotating wheel with multiple weights to lift and return a weight to the top of the wheel. The discussion also addresses the misconception of perpetual motion and the importance of input forces and energy in moving objects. The conversation concludes with the suggestion of creating a diagram to better understand the concept and the reminder that perpetual motion is not possible.
Newtons-law
The question is how to continue to elevate weight to produce motion that will give the end result torque? Motion will take place if wt is on one side, but lifting the wt on the same wheel balances and no rotation will occur. I believe if you have continued rotated wt on one side of a wheel it will continue to rotate and produce torque for work. I think if the wt is removed from the wheel at the bottom and rolled onto a balance scale and lifted by (stationary wt)at the other end of the scale this will elevate weight back to the top and released with multiple weights already in rotation on the wheel. To bring the balance scale down, leverage is needed. The leverage bar must rotate with the multiple weight wheel and bring the balance scale back down to catch the next weight in rotation. The leverage bar will release the balance scale once the weight is in place by way of a henge and a pin. The one wt will henge and cause the pin to be pulled and the leverage bar will rotate back to the top, the stationary wt elevates the rotation wt and the leverage bar will bring the balance scale down after the scale has released the wt on the wheel. I know this is very simple but is possible. Do the math. Work can be produced with continued rotation of wt. Thank you gravity. My name is Newton and I hope when you look at this you say, damn that is stupid. p.s It is possible, do the math.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you are talking about or what your point is. Can you restate it? A diagram would be nice.

wt in motion =torque. It is possible by removing one weight at a time near the bottom of the wheel during rotation. The way to return the weight back to the top of the wheel is by way of stationary weight on a balance beam. The stationary weight on the other end of a balanced beam or scale will lift the rotating weight back to the top of the wheel by slightly more weight or percentage. The balanced beam or scale will be returned by a Leverage bar on the wheel forced down by multiple wt in rotation. The scale will not rotate the bar will.

The balanced beam or scale will simply teeter toter by weight. The Leverage bar will rotate with the wheel. The leverage bar will release the balanced beam once the weight has reached the end and the weight at the end will hinge and a pin will pull to allow the bar to continue to rotate and the Balanced beam will rise by the stationary wt. The rotating wt is lifted and returned to the wheel and the process repeats. Weight will continue to rotate a wheel if the wt returns to one side and torque used for work is produced. Work produced by gravity.

Realize that torque has a specific definition in physics and that "weight in motion" isn't it.

Sounds to me that you're trying to rationalize some kind of perpetual motion machine. Is that what this is about?

Also recognize that to move an object, you need to apply a force. A balance beam in equilibrium still requires a force to move it, so you can't lift the weights for free just by dropping them onto a balance beam. That's from f=ma.

It would help if you drew yourself a diagram, that way, it'll be easier to pinpoint where you are missing an input force/energy.

And yeah - you haven't found perpetual motion. People have been trying since the beginning of time and have wasted a lot of it on this dead end. Discovering the laws of thermodynamics should have led to the end of this foolish pursuit, but it hasn't.

I believe perpetual motion is impossible. I believe that weight + motion = torque and torque can be used for work. Weight in motion on one side of a wheel creates motion, gravity will provide torque. I believe physics will make it work (not forever) but for a long long time. Weight (gravity) and motion = torque Leverage x length =%wt %wt / wtx5 = Wt >%

the beam is never balanced by weight. It is balanced by length. The stationary is 1/4 % more wt than on the other end that is lifted wt for rotation. The wt that rotates is multiple. Let's say 5 wt at 20 lbs = 100 lbs. These are in rotation, but removed and replace one at a time. The stationary wt is 25 lbs so the beam with more wt will drop and the 20 lbs rotation wt will rise and back to the top. The leverage bar now needs to push the beam down. The pin catches during rotation. The leverage bar has 100 lbs the beam has 25 lbs. The beam is driven down the next wt in rotation roll or slide down hill until the end of the beam the end will hinge and pull the pin the beam is released. It is simple math.

WTx5/WTx1+1/4 = WT3 3/4 A beam that is centered and balanced. You can apply wt to one end and it will move downward and raise the end with no weight. If you apply wt on the other end which is a 1/4 more it will move downward raising the other weight. Once the weight is removed there is a 1 1/4 weight more on one end. To get the end with 1 1/4 to go down you must apply more weight and that is the reason for multiple weights on the wheel. There will be 3 3/4 more weight on the wheel where the leverage bar is attached. The leverage has more weight and must go down until released by the 1wt that will hinge and pull the pin and back to 1wt and the 1 1/4 wt must go down and raise the wt.

Sorry, but I don't see the point of this thread, especially since you decline to provide a diagram or clear description of what you have in mind.

You might find this site of interest: http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/museum/physgal.htm"

Last edited by a moderator:

What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate about an axis. It is usually represented by the symbol "T" and is measured in units of Newton-meters (Nm).

How is torque related to weight and motion?

Torque is directly proportional to both weight and motion. This means that the greater the weight and/or the faster the motion of an object, the greater the resulting torque will be.

Can weight and motion be changed to affect torque?

Yes, both weight and motion can be changed to affect the torque of an object. For example, increasing the weight of an object or increasing its speed will result in a greater torque.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for calculating torque is: T = F * r * sin(theta), where T is torque, F is the force applied, r is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied, and theta is the angle between the force vector and the lever arm.

What is the practical application of understanding weight, motion, and torque?

Understanding weight, motion, and torque is crucial in many fields and industries, such as engineering, mechanics, and physics. It is used to design and optimize machines, improve performance in sports and athletics, and even in everyday tasks such as opening a door or using a wrench.