Money Dealing Strategies - Find Recurrence Relation

• Thread starter Goldenwind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Money
In summary, the problem is to find a recurrence relation for the number of ways to pay a bill of n pesos, taking into account the order in which the coins and bills are paid. An example approach is to think of it like vending change after a customer buys something, where you start with the highest value bill and work your way down. However, there are many other ways to pay the bill, making it difficult to find a recursive formula. A helpful resource for solving this problem is a textbook that deals with a similar problem.
Goldenwind

Homework Statement

A country uses as currency coins with values of 1 peso, 2 pesos, 5 pesos, and 10 pesos and bills with values of 5 pesos, 10 pesos, 20 pesos, 50 pesos, and 100 pesos. Find a recurrence relation for the number of ways to pay a bill of n pesos if the order in which the coins and bills are paid matters.

Reminder: I'm just asking for a hint, DO NOT solve this.

Homework Equations

To see an example of a recurrence relation, see my other thread.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I were approaching this in real life, I'd think of it like vending change after a customer bought something.

Say their change is 588 pesos.
I'd give them five 100 pesos bills, still owing 88 pesos.
Then give one 50 pesos bill, still owing 38 pesos.
Then give one 20 pesos bill, still owing 18 pesos.
Then give one 10 pesos bill/coin, still owing 8 pesos.
Then give one 5 pesos bill/coin, still owing 3 pesos.
Then give one 2 pesos coin, still owing 1 pesos.
Then give one 1 pesos coin.

But this is just one way. There are many, many, many other ways to do this, such as 588x1Pesos, 294x2Pesos, (5x100Pesos + 44x2Pesos), and so on.

I could program this in Java, using a method and multiple "Is a > b?" conditions, but clueless as to how to do this in a recursive formula [itex]a_n[/itex].

Another reminder: Hint only, don't solve.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Goldenwind

Funny coincidence, but I've been dealing with the exact same problem and in fact I think I am in the same class as you because I have seen your posts before. I did manage to find a solution earlier on, and the resource I looked at that helped me is in the following link:

http://books.google.ca/books?id=vIf...OEjAG6n_jdBg&sig=wWKIPPcJCJaNT4r4nAXEPVXeHK8"

That text deals with a similar problem and I found it helpful. Also note that in the answers section of the textbook it shows that for when n = 17, the result will be 9494, so if you feel like writing out all the terms (or if you're like me, you'd write a computer program to do it for you) you have a rough means of checking your answer.

I hope I didn't just scare you to death. Good luck with the problem.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a recurrence relation in the context of money dealing strategies?

A recurrence relation is a mathematical equation or formula that describes the relationship between the current value of a quantity and its previous values. In the context of money dealing strategies, it is used to predict future outcomes based on past performance.

2. Why is it important to find a recurrence relation in money dealing strategies?

Finding a recurrence relation allows for a more systematic and analytical approach to managing money. It helps identify patterns and trends in financial data, which can be used to make informed decisions and improve overall performance.

3. How can one determine the recurrence relation for a specific money dealing strategy?

Determining the recurrence relation for a money dealing strategy involves analyzing past data and identifying the variables that have an impact on the outcome. This can be done through mathematical calculations, data visualization, and statistical analysis.

4. Are there different types of recurrence relations used in money dealing strategies?

Yes, there are different types of recurrence relations that can be used in money dealing strategies, depending on the specific strategy and its goals. Some common types include linear, exponential, and geometric recurrence relations.

5. Can a recurrence relation be used to accurately predict future outcomes in money dealing strategies?

While a recurrence relation can provide insight into potential future outcomes based on past performance, it should not be solely relied upon for making financial decisions. Other factors such as market conditions and external influences should also be taken into consideration.