Surface Integral Help: Solving a Paraboloid and Cylinder Intersection Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses how to set up the boundaries for integrating a paraboloid that lies within a shifted cylinder. The suggested method is to calculate the surface area of each horizontal slice and integrate over z from the minimum to maximum values where the slice is non-zero. The boundaries can be found by expanding the equation of the cylinder and using polar coordinates. The slope of the curve should also be taken into account when calculating the surface area.
EngageEngage

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\int{\frac {x}{\sqrt {1+4\,{x}^{2}+4\,{y}^{2}}}}dS[/tex]
Where S is the parabaloid [tex] z = 25 - x^{2} -y^{2}[/tex] that lies within the cylinder [tex]x^{2}+(y-1)^{2}=1[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

First i use the following:

[tex]{\it dS}=\sqrt {1+{\frac {{{\it df}}^{2}}{{{\it dx}}^{2}}}+{\frac {{{
\it df}}^{2}{\it }}{{{\it dy}}^{2}}}}dA[/tex]

(**The above derivatives are not second derivatives, it should be each derivative squared)
to find

[tex]{\it dS}=\sqrt {1+4\,{x}^{2}+4\,{y}^{2}}dA[/tex]

my integral then simplifies to the following, using polar coordinates and the following parametric equations
[tex]x = cos(\theta),and,
y = sin(\theta) + 1, and, dA = rdrd\theta[/tex]

[tex]\int\int cos(\theta) r dr d\theta[/tex]

This is where my trouble starts -- the integral is easy to evaluate, but I don't know how to set up my boundaries so that I am in fact integrating around a cylinder that has been shifted up in the xy plane.
The limits I would use (but which i do not think are right) are as follows:
[tex]2\pi\geq\theta\geq0[/tex]
[tex]1\geq r \geq 0[/tex]
once again, these limits do not take into account the translation of the cylinder on the xy plane. If anyone oculd please tell me where I went wrong or what I should do I would appreciate it greatly.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
EngageEngage said:
but I don't know how to set up my boundaries so that I am in fact integrating around a cylinder that has been shifted up in the xy plane.

Hi EngageEngage! :smile:

You should not be "integrating around a cylinder".

Think of it this way:

Each horizontal slice cuts the parboloid in a circle, and cuts the cylinder in another circle.

You only want the bit of the first circle which is inside the second circle.

My suggestion is to calculate the surface area of each slice, and then integrate over z from the minimum to the maximum values for which the slice is non-zero. :smile:

Yeah, i messed that up in the first post, but i think i understand the concept haha. so do you suggest I do this in cylindrical coordinates, where my dA is [tex]rdzd \theta [/tex]? If i did this i could substitute the r in my integral for [tex]sqrt(25 - z)[/tex] and integrate with respect to z and theta. Although I'm still not quite sure how I would incorporate the the translation of the cylinder here. Thanks for the help!

Hi EngageEngage! :smile:

You're making this too complicated.

Each slice is an arc of a circle (with a slope, of course).

You don't need to integrate to find the length of that arc - it's radius times angle!

Just find the arc-angle of each slice, multiply by the radius of the paraboloid at that height, and something for the slope - that gives you a function of z.

Then integrate over z.

(You have drawn a cross-section of the cylinder and paraboloid at a typical height z, to help you see what's happening, haven't you??)

Actually, if i expand this:
[tex]
x^{2}+(y-1)^{2}=1
[/tex]
to get:
[tex]
x^{2}+y^{2}=2y
r^{2} = 2rsin(\theta)
r = 2sin(\theta)
[/tex]
Which implies the following boundaries:
[tex]
0\leq r \leq 2sin(\theta)
0\leq \theta \leq 2\pi
[/tex]

Though, when i do this my integral reduces to zero which doesn't sound right:
[tex]
\int^{2\pi}_{0}\int^{2sin(\theta)}_{0} cos(\theta)rdrd\theta...2\int^{2\pi}_{0}cos(\theta)sin^{2}(\theta)d\theta = 0[/tex]
when using simple subsitutions

[tex] r \theta[/tex] will be the arc lenght, and [tex] r = sqrt(25 - z) [/tex]. I am not quite sure what you mean by using the slope though. I've had the picture drawn and that's why I'm not quite sure how this will work because there will always be part of the parabaloid outside of the cylinder. Wont me integrating along z with just the arclength like this include part of the parabaloid that's is not actually within the cylinder? once again, thank you for the help!

Last edited:
The slope is the length of the curve between z and z + dz. The paraboloid isn't vertical (like a cylinder), so the length won't be dz, will it?

I can't work out what picture you're working with.

You should have two intersecting circles.

Theta is the arc-angle of the paraboloid that's inside the cylinder. So r x theta x slope = surface area of that slice of the paraboloid inside the cylinder.

Is that your theta?

If so, why are you worried that integrating along z wil include part of the parabaloid that's not inside cylinder? :confused:

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a type of integral used in multivariable calculus to calculate the flux of a vector field over a surface. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface instead of a one-dimensional curve.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A surface integral involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface, while a regular integral is used to find the area under a curve. In other words, a surface integral takes into account the values of a function over an entire surface, while a regular integral only considers the values along a one-dimensional path.

3. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals have many practical applications, such as calculating the fluid flow through a surface, finding the mass of a curved object, and determining the electric flux through a surface. They are also used in fields like physics, engineering, and computer graphics.

4. How do you set up a surface integral?

To set up a surface integral, you first need to define the limits of integration, which are usually given in terms of a parameterization of the surface. Then, you need to determine the appropriate integrand, which can be a scalar or vector function depending on the type of surface integral. Finally, you can use a double or triple integral to calculate the flux or total surface area, respectively.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving surface integrals?

Some common mistakes when solving surface integrals include forgetting to include the correct limits of integration, using the wrong integrand, and not taking into account the direction of the surface normal vector. It is also important to ensure that the surface is properly parameterized and that the chosen coordinate system aligns with the surface's orientation.