Use of the term pair vs ordered pair

• Thread starter Werg22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pair Term
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of the terms "pair" and "ordered pair" in mathematical language and the potential confusion between their interchangeable use. The speaker expresses concern about the redundancy of stating the axiom of commutativity for addition and multiplication, as well as the difference between a pair and an ordered pair. The other speaker clarifies that the term "pair" simply refers to two objects with labels x and y, while an ordered pair denotes a specific order between the objects.
Werg22
Use of the term "pair" vs "ordered pair"

Why is it that authors use the term "pair" and "ordered pair" interchangeably and, maybe I'm mistaken, a little imprecisely? For example, in listing the field axioms, the language "for every pair x and y" is usually used. However, surly the author means "for every ordered pair x and y", otherwise, there is no need for the axiom of commutativity (neither for addition nor multiplication). Just something that has been bothering me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Actually, when I hear "pair" I have in mind something like: (a, b) which is ordered by default, i.e. (b, a) is something different. Presumably the authors you are generally referring to have the same "problem"?

"x and y" isn't an ordered pair, (x,y) would be an ordered pair.

What is bothering you about the phrase

"for every pair x,y we have xy=yx"

How is this axiom of commutativity redundant?

I was under the impression that "pair" denoted a set of two objects (as opposed to "ordered pair" which denotes a set of two object in which order is important), therefore the pair x and y would be the same as the pair y and x. Defining addition and multiplication as functions assigning a unique x+y and xy to the pair "x and y" and then stating x+y=y+x or xy=yx is redundant; "x and y" is the same as "y and x" by the definition of a pair (as opposed to ordered pair), therefore x+y=y+x and xy=yx are implied at the outset and do not need to be stated as axioms.

The term pair just denotes two things that have labels x and y. This is just common usage of English, it is not some statement about a set with two elements. If it were it would also imply x=/=y as well. Given pair with *labels* x and y, we assert there is something denoted xy, again the labelling is important. If we change the role of labels, as you do, to get yx, it does not imply that yx=xy.

1. What is the difference between a pair and an ordered pair?

A pair is a set of two elements, while an ordered pair is a specific type of pair that is ordered and can contain duplicate elements.

2. When should I use the term "pair" versus "ordered pair" in my research?

The term "pair" is more general and can refer to any set of two elements, while "ordered pair" specifically refers to a set of two elements in a specific order. Use "ordered pair" when order is important in your research.

3. Can an ordered pair contain duplicate elements?

Yes, an ordered pair can contain duplicate elements. For example, (1,1) is a valid ordered pair.

4. How are ordered pairs represented in mathematics?

In mathematics, ordered pairs are typically represented using parentheses and a comma, such as (x,y), where x is the first element and y is the second element.

5. Why is the concept of an ordered pair important in mathematics?

The concept of an ordered pair is important in mathematics because it allows us to represent and analyze relationships between two elements in a specific order. It is also a fundamental concept in set theory and is used in many mathematical models and theories.