Jobs for New Sources of Energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's interest in being involved in researching new forms of energy to decrease energy dependence. They are a senior in high school and are considering declaring their major as Physics, but also considering branches of engineering and chemistry. It is mentioned that the first year classes for these fields are similar and it is not necessary to decide right away. The importance of finding a mentor in alternative energy research in college is also emphasized.
Riogho
I want to be involved in the research for searching for new forms of energy, to decrease our energy dependence. I am a starting senior in high school, and want to know what I should declare my major as.

(As of now, I'm just going to go in as Physics most likely)

Physics news on Phys.org
I think a lot of branches of engineering would be worth looking at, as well as chemistry. You won't have to decide right away, because for most schools the first year classes are almost identical for physics, engineering, and chemistry.

Agreed. You won't have to choose for awhile.

Also, all of those fields will prepare you to study alternative energy, but since you already know you're interested, more important than your major is finding a mentor that is active in alternative energy research once you get to college.

1. What are some examples of jobs in new sources of energy?

Some examples of jobs in new sources of energy include solar panel installers, wind turbine technicians, energy efficiency consultants, geothermal engineers, and biofuel plant operators.

2. Are there any educational or training requirements for these jobs?

Yes, many jobs in new sources of energy require specific education or training. For example, solar panel installers may need to complete a training program or apprenticeship, while engineers and technicians may need a bachelor's degree in a related field.

3. How is the job market for new sources of energy?

The job market for new sources of energy is growing rapidly, with a high demand for skilled workers in renewable energy industries. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, employment in solar and wind energy occupations is projected to grow much faster than the average for all occupations.

4. Are there any challenges or obstacles in transitioning to new sources of energy?

While the growth of new sources of energy is promising, there are some challenges and obstacles in the transition. These can include initial costs, technological limitations, and potential impacts on traditional energy industries and jobs. However, these challenges can be overcome with continued research, innovation, and support.

5. How can I get involved in the field of new sources of energy?

There are many ways to get involved in the field of new sources of energy. You can pursue education or training in a related field, join organizations or volunteer for projects related to renewable energy, or look for job opportunities in the growing industry. Additionally, supporting and advocating for policies that promote the development of new sources of energy can also make a positive impact.