Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone

In summary, to calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone about an axis through its center, one needs to use the equation I=\intr2dm and the density function to change dm to a suitable form for integration. This can be done using the cone's altitude, mass, and radius. It is also helpful to look at examples and seek assistance if needed.
ehilge

Homework Statement

Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone about an axis through its center. The cone has mass M and altitude h. The radius of its circular base is R. (see attached photo)

Homework Equations

I know I need to somehow use the equation I=[tex]\intr2dm[/tex]
also, I have an equation from my proffessor, dm=[tex]\rho[/tex]dv I'm not sure if I need this though since its unifrom density so it doesn't seem like [tex]\rho[/tex] should matter.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a solution right now. I know the answer is 3/10 MR2 but I don't know how to het there. From class, since we did some examples, I think I need an equation that has a triple integral in it but I don't know what to integrate and to where.

Thanks for your help. Also, if you have any general suggestions on how to complete moment of inertia problems like this that would be great. I know we're going to be doing a lot of them.

Thanks again!

Attachments

• cone.jpg
    cone.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 1,243
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi ehilge,

ehilge said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone about an axis through its center. The cone has mass M and altitude h. The radius of its circular base is R. (see attached photo)

Homework Equations

I know I need to somehow use the equation I=[tex]\intr2dm[/tex]

To put this in tex, don't use the [noparse][/noparse]. Use the caret ^, and put a space before the r, like this:

[noparse][tex]\int r^2 dm[/tex][/noparse]

which gives:

[tex]\int r^2 dm[/tex]

also, I have an equation from my proffessor, dm=[tex]\rho[/tex]dv I'm not sure if I need this though since its unifrom density so it doesn't seem like [tex]\rho[/tex] should matter.

Yes, you'll need some form of the density. The integral has a dm in it, and you need to use the density function to change that to a dx, dA, dV, etc. (depending on the type of shape) so that you can perform the integration.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a solution right now. I know the answer is 3/10 MR2 but I don't know how to het there. From class, since we did some examples, I think I need an equation that has a triple integral in it but I don't know what to integrate and to where.

Thanks for your help. Also, if you have any general suggestions on how to complete moment of inertia problems like this that would be great. I know we're going to be doing a lot of them.

Thanks again!

If you look here

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/mi.html#mig

and scroll to near the bottom you will see links to three examples. Does that help?

If you get stuck on the cone calculation, post your work and where you are getting stuck and maybe someone can help.

I was able to get the problem figured out. Thanks for your suggestions and also with the help with formatting.

1. What is the formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone?

The formula for calculating the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone is I = (3/10)mr^2, where m is the mass of the cone and r is the radius of the base.

2. How do you determine the mass and radius of a cone for calculating moment of inertia?

The mass of the cone can be determined by weighing it on a scale. The radius can be measured using a ruler or caliper.

3. Can the moment of inertia of a cone be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a cone cannot be negative. It is always a positive value.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a cone compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a cone is smaller than that of a cylinder with the same mass and radius, and larger than that of a sphere with the same mass and radius.

5. Can the moment of inertia of a cone be calculated using calculus?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a cone can also be calculated using integration. The formula is I = ∫r^2dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation and dm is the differential mass element.