Moment of inertia of a cone

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the moment of inertia of a solid cone with mass M and altitude h about an axis through its center. The equation I = intergral r^2 dm is mentioned and it is noted that the cone has uniform density. The person is unsure of how to get to the answer of 3/10 MR2 and asks for suggestions on completing moment of inertia problems. It is suggested to use dm = \rhodV and to set up dV in cylindrical coordinates to find the limits of integration.
ehilge

Homework Statement

Calculate the moment of inertia of a uniform solid cone about an axis through its center. The cone has mass M and altitude h. The radius of its circular base is R. (see attached photo)

Homework Equations

I know I need to somehow use the equation I= intergral r^2 dm
also, I have an equation from my proffessor, dm=rho dv I'm not sure if I need this though since its unifrom density so it doesn't seem like [tex]\rho[/tex] should matter.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have a solution right now. I know the answer is 3/10 MR2 but I don't know how to get there. From class, since we did some examples, I think I need an equation that has a triple integral in it but I don't know what to integrate and to where. Do I need to get dm in terms of something like d[tex]\vartheta[/tex], dr, and dh?

Thanks for your help. Also, if you have any general suggestions on how to complete moment of inertia problems like this that would be great. I know we're going to be doing a lot of them.

Thanks again!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes dm = [tex]\rho[/tex]dV will be used. Have you tried setting up dV in cylindrical coordinates? Then try to look for your limits of integration.

The moment of inertia of a cone can be calculated using the equation I= (3/10)MR^2, as you mentioned. However, it is important to understand the derivation of this equation in order to fully grasp the concept and be able to apply it to other problems.

To calculate the moment of inertia of a cone, we can use the equation I= intergral r^2 dm, where r is the distance from the axis of rotation to an infinitesimal piece of mass dm. In order to use this equation, we need to express dm in terms of the variables we are given, which are M, h, and R.

Since the cone has a uniform density, we can use the equation dm= \rho dv, where \rho is the density and dv is the infinitesimal volume element. In this case, the density is constant throughout the cone, so we can write \rho=M/V, where V is the total volume of the cone.

Now, we can express dv in terms of the given variables. The cone can be divided into infinitesimal circular discs, each with a radius r and thickness dr. The volume of each disc can be calculated as dV=\pi r^2 dh, where dh is the infinitesimal height of the disc. Therefore, the total volume of the cone can be expressed as V= \int_0^h \pi r^2 dh.

Substituting these expressions into the equation for dm, we get dm= \rho dv= \frac{M}{V} \pi r^2 dh= \frac{M}{\int_0^h \pi r^2 dh} \pi r^2 dh= \frac{M}{h} r^2 dh.

Now, we can substitute this expression for dm into the equation for moment of inertia, giving us I= \int r^2 dm= \int_0^R \frac{M}{h} r^4 dr. Solving this integral gives us I= \frac{1}{5} \frac{M}{h} R^5.

However, this is not the final answer, as we need to take into account the fact that the axis of rotation is through the center of the cone, not the base. This means that the moment of inertia will be different for different values of h, with the maximum value occurring when h=R.

To account for this, we need to multiply our

1. What is the equation for calculating moment of inertia of a cone?

The equation for calculating moment of inertia of a cone is I = (3/10)mr^2, where m is the mass of the cone and r is the radius of the base.

2. How is moment of inertia of a cone different from a cylinder or sphere?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. A cone has a different distribution of mass compared to a cylinder or sphere, resulting in a different moment of inertia equation.

3. How does the height of a cone affect its moment of inertia?

The height of a cone does not affect its moment of inertia equation, only the mass and radius of the base are taken into account. However, a taller cone will have a greater moment of inertia compared to a shorter cone with the same base radius and mass.

4. Can the moment of inertia of a cone be negative?

No, the moment of inertia of a cone cannot be negative. It is always a positive value as it represents the object's resistance to rotational motion.

5. How is the moment of inertia of a hollow cone calculated?

The moment of inertia of a hollow cone is calculated by subtracting the moment of inertia of the smaller cone (formed by the hollow space) from the moment of inertia of the larger cone (formed by the outer surface).