Pass Your Physical Chemistry Exam with These Study Tips | 2 Days Left!

In summary, the conversation discusses advice for tackling an exam that is only two days away. The suggestion is to identify your strongest and weakest areas and focus on those, as well as doing practice problems and reviewing notes. The conversation also mentions the possibility of retaking the course if necessary and finding a teacher who grades on a curve.
n77ler
HI, I have my exam in 2 days and I am wayyyy behind this course I'm am only looking for a pass since I cannot get it down...I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on how to tackle it all? Should I do problems from every chapter and try and get through it? Or is there a better method you guys use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Anyoneee? Please I am so stressed I have no idea where to begin!

Decide your strongest and your weakest areas. Leave those, the one is into diminishing returns on effort, the other is too late to get on top of.

For some of the remaining fair-to-middling bits write down in note form and without looking it up, what you know, also in relation to likely type of questions. Then look at the book or previous notes, your mind will have been activated by the exercise, and hopefully bits of jigsaw will fit into place.

Go on to something else and do the same thing. At some time come back to the first subject and do the same as before, you'll find you're better than before but some things will have eluded you. They will now fix themselves better in your mind. You only have time to do that max. 2-4X in 2 days but it should help, and also stop the panic.

OK so say I have no strengths, how should I try and cover it all?

Start with the strongest one, your morale is most likely to be maintained.

epenguin is too optimistic. Two days until test-time is too late. This late in the term, if you are not passing the course, then re-take the course. If everything else is basically in good working order, you should learn much better the second time; if you are weak in any essential pre-requisite topics, then your second time in the course may still be troublesome.

You are in Physical Chemistry? Chances are that your pre-requisite knowledge has been well managed and just repeating your course will lead you to much better learning. Try to take the second time with a teacher who grades on a "curve" fit to the class'es performance instead of a teacher who uses a strict 90-80-70-60, A-B-C-D system.

1. What topics are typically covered on a physical chemistry exam?

Physical chemistry exams typically cover topics such as thermodynamics, kinetics, quantum mechanics, electrochemistry, and spectroscopy.

2. How should I prepare for a physical chemistry exam?

To prepare for a physical chemistry exam, it is important to review class notes and textbook material, work through practice problems, and attend review sessions or seek help from a tutor if needed.

3. Are there any common mistakes students make on physical chemistry exams?

Some common mistakes students make on physical chemistry exams include not showing all steps of a calculation, not fully understanding the concepts, and not studying enough or in an effective manner.

4. What are some helpful tips for taking a physical chemistry exam?

Some helpful tips for taking a physical chemistry exam include reading and understanding the question carefully, using units consistently, showing all steps of a calculation, and checking your work for errors.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physical chemistry concepts for an exam?

To improve your understanding of physical chemistry concepts for an exam, it is important to actively engage in class lectures and discussions, ask questions, and work through practice problems. It can also be helpful to form study groups or use online resources for additional practice and review.