Make a 2 tenth MicroHenry Inductor | DIY TV Transmitter

• Thread starter BrockLee
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about the difficulty of finding a 0.2 microHenry inductor and the suggestion of using a 0.22 microHenry instead or changing the value of other components to work with a standard 0.22 microHenry inductor. There is also a discussion about FCC regulations and suggestions to search for the inductor on Digikey's online catalog.
BrockLee
Maybe your all aware of the easily available kits found online without retailers, maybe I can give you an idea of why. I got one and it's lacking an inductor. 2tenth of a MicroHenry as the other that came with it. Not only does this piece not exist in electronics shops but I can't even get it off of the internet. Now I have seen an identical purpose homemade inductor on the ipodlinux website, Oddly enough it is for boosting signal range on ipod FM transmitters. Anyway, It claimed a wrapping of wire around a resistor would be (depending on its gauge, number of turns, and if the resistor is a small resistor like mOhm) equal to an amount of henrys, used for smoothing a signal. Now if this is not a load of Bull, Maybe someone has an idea on how to make a two tenth microHenry Inductor so I can use My TV Transmitter Hmm.?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Update If you want take a look and see if this is correct info
http://www.ipodwizard.net/wiki/index.php/ITrip_Amplifier [Broken]
to amplify the Itrip attachment for ipods. I busted Mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
BrockLee said:
Maybe your all aware of the easily available kits found online without retailers, maybe I can give you an idea of why. I got one and it's lacking an inductor. 2tenth of a MicroHenry as the other that came with it. Not only does this piece not exist in electronics shops but I can't even get it off of the internet. Now I have seen an identical purpose homemade inductor on the ipodlinux website, Oddly enough it is for boosting signal range on ipod FM transmitters. Anyway, It claimed a wrapping of wire around a resistor would be (depending on its gauge, number of turns, and if the resistor is a small resistor like mOhm) equal to an amount of henrys, used for smoothing a signal. Now if this is not a load of Bull, Maybe someone has an idea on how to make a two tenth microHenry Inductor so I can use My TV Transmitter Hmm.?

Most electronics shops should sell coils. You can order online if your local supplier doesn't have any. Yes, you can build a coil by wrapping insulated wire around itself. What do you mean by busting yours?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inductor

why not just pick up the 22ga magnet wire and a 1K resistor and wrap one up?

Proton Soup said:
why not just pick up the 22ga magnet wire and a 1K resistor and wrap one up?

With the TV transmitter I own it would take much too time to keep rewiring until I get two tenth of a MicroHenry(Thats Ten to the Negative Sixth). I did the equations for determining how many coils per coil diameter (thank you Ametuer Radio Relay Leagues Handbook), as well I looked up the coil windings in a chart to find a suitable size, but it occures to me this is for air cored inductors. Very easy to break and my case is Tiny.
I am still searching for a better way and as of yet(6 months ~14days), I am nill for a better solution.
OH and by the way if anyone has any ideas about the fcc's regulations for broadcasting analog tv after the digital conversion i'd appreciate it, i don't think that the fcc regulated maximum power output is enough, I want to atleast cover my backyard(70dB) or so. lol

your link actually indicates 10uH (1 times ten to the negative FIVE). other than that, i can't tell if you're asking for a 10 or 20nH (2 times ten to the negative eight) or something else.

and after 6 months, i think you could've wound a few hundred coils. ;) the image there suggests 10 to 20, so you need enough material for 11 prototypes...

yungman said:
Check Digikey?

Perhaps this one:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=513-1594-1-ND

EDIT: whoa, that's a surface-mount component. But you can search online at digikey and see if they have a lead-wire type.

EDIT #2: here's one with leads:
http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail&name=513-1518-ND

0.2 microHenry is only about 6 inches of 22 awg. If you coil it up, it can be even shorter. Is this the for-real value?

TVP45 said:
0.2 microHenry is only about 6 inches of 22 awg. If you coil it up, it can be even shorter. Is this the for-real value?

In my opinion, you can change the value of other components a little to use a 0.22uH which is a standard value. Engineering is a art of complemise! It is very important to know what is the standard value of resistors, caps, and inductors and start off design with that in mind so you don't end up with odd values. I designed precission circuits before, very very few times I need to get specialty values except for resistors which is the easiest of the three.

1. What is a 2 tenth MicroHenry inductor?

A 2 tenth MicroHenry inductor is an electrical component that is used to store energy in the form of a magnetic field. It is measured in MicroHenry, which is a unit of inductance.

2. Why would someone want to make a 2 tenth MicroHenry inductor?

A 2 tenth MicroHenry inductor is commonly used in electronic circuits, particularly in radio and TV transmitters. It is used to tune the frequency of the transmitter and improve its performance.

3. What materials are needed to make a 2 tenth MicroHenry inductor?

To make a 2 tenth MicroHenry inductor, you will need a coil of wire, a core material (such as air or ferrite), and a multimeter to measure the inductance.

4. How can I make a 2 tenth MicroHenry inductor?

First, calculate the number of turns of wire needed for the desired inductance using an online calculator or formula. Then, wrap the wire around the core material and secure the ends. Use the multimeter to measure the inductance and adjust the number of turns as needed.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when making a 2 tenth MicroHenry inductor?

Yes, when working with electronic components, it is important to follow proper safety precautions. Make sure to wear protective gear, such as gloves and safety glasses, and work in a well-ventilated area. Also, be careful when handling the wire, as it can have sharp edges.

Back