Wanting to switch to unaccredited engineering degree

In summary, the speaker is a student who is currently studying engineering but is considering switching to a non-accredited degree. They have had difficulties with their engineering courses and do not enjoy the subject. They are also thinking about pursuing a career in the medical field and are worried about the impact of switching degrees on their chances of getting into medical school. They are currently interning as a writer and are open to other career paths.
seesys
My school is accredited and most of it's engineering degrees are accredited by ABET, but the "engineering science" degree is not.

I'm currently 2.5 quarters away from finishing an accredited degree, but a class this quarter has me doing so bad (and the instructor isn't worth praising) that I could fail. That would set me back another year, since it is only offered once per year.

I switched majors so many times during college and settled on engineering after my 3rd year ONLY because I knew it would give me better job prospects than other majors. That was a poor decision because I ended up dragging myself through courses, hating most of them, not studying because I was so uninterested in the material, basically doing nothing to help my GPA. Of course, those first 3 years that I kept switching majors, I had a poor GPA as well because again, I found nothing that I wanted to really work towards.

This professor already instructed me to drop the class if I don't plan on putting in a lot more work. I don't want to put in so much effort for the rest of the quarter, only to fail another class. (This professor does not hesitate to fail you, even if you have come for help consistently throughout the quarter...last time he taught this class, 40% failed.)

Quite frankly, I don't even WANT to work as an engineer, or do anything involving technical work. Anyone that gets to know me really questions why I chose engineering, and I hear all the time that I would be better in business/sales/marketing or anything that requires a good memory. I'm also very adept at picking up languages.

I passed the EIT a few months ago, so it's not like I know zilch. But I'm ready to switch over to the non-accredited degree (which allows me to sub in electives for required courses, including this one) and start preparing for the MCAT (I wish I had spent more time thinking about what I wanted in life, because I like working with/helping out people. Now I have to take pre-requisites as well!)

Does it matter if this degree is unaccredited if I am not planning on working in the engineering field? I know medical school won't give a hoot, their focus will be on GPA/MCAT/extra curriculars, but I want to know that if I don't get into med school on the first try (which I believe to be true) then I want to be able to find work with my degree. Right now I have an internship as a writer, and they pay me really well, and the work is super easy, and my boss loves me, so I'm not too concerned, but I want some advice from others.

Sorry for the long post, but I guess a well informed question gets a well informed post! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it sounds like you're convinced that engineering isn't for you. I think that's fine. It's not for everyone. In that respect I don't see much of a problem if you want to switch programs. Sure, it might close some doors as far as engineering goes, but as long as you're okay with that, it might be the best choice. Medical school might be a tough slog if your GPA has been less than stellar for multiple years.

I understand the importance of accreditation in the field of engineering. Accreditation ensures that a program meets certain standards and prepares students for a career in the field. However, I also understand that sometimes circumstances arise where switching to a non-accredited degree may be a better option for an individual.

In your case, it seems like you have struggled with your current accredited engineering degree and have found little interest in the material. It is important to pursue a career that you are passionate about and enjoy, so if you do not see yourself working in the engineering field, it may be worth considering switching to the non-accredited degree.

However, it is important to also consider the potential consequences of this decision. As you mentioned, medical schools may not care about the accreditation of your degree, but other potential employers in the future may. It is important to research the job market and see if having an unaccredited engineering degree will limit your opportunities.

Additionally, it is important to consider the long-term implications of switching to a non-accredited degree. Will this affect your ability to pursue a graduate degree in the future? Will it limit your opportunities for advancement in your career?

Ultimately, the decision to switch to an unaccredited engineering degree should be carefully considered and weighed against your career goals and aspirations. It may be helpful to speak with a career advisor or mentor to get their perspective and advice on your specific situation. Best of luck with your decision.

What is an unaccredited engineering degree?

An unaccredited engineering degree is a degree program that is not recognized or accredited by a governing body or organization. This means that the program has not met certain standards or requirements set by the industry or government.

Why would someone want to switch to an unaccredited engineering degree?

There are a few reasons why someone may want to switch to an unaccredited engineering degree. Some may not have been accepted into an accredited program, while others may have realized their interests lie in a different engineering field that is not offered by accredited programs. Additionally, unaccredited programs tend to be more flexible and affordable.

What are the potential drawbacks of an unaccredited engineering degree?

One main drawback of an unaccredited engineering degree is that it may not be recognized by employers or licensing bodies. This could limit job opportunities and hinder the ability to obtain a professional engineering license. Additionally, unaccredited programs may not have the same level of rigor and quality as accredited programs, which could impact the education and skills gained.

Can credits from an unaccredited engineering degree be transferred to an accredited program?

It depends on the specific accredited program and institution. In some cases, credits from an unaccredited program may not be recognized or accepted for transfer. It is important to research and communicate with the institution before making the switch to ensure credit transferability.

What steps can I take to ensure the credibility of an unaccredited engineering degree?

If you are considering an unaccredited engineering degree, it is important to thoroughly research the program and institution. Look into the faculty, curriculum, and reputation of the program. You can also reach out to industry professionals or alumni to get their perspective on the program. Additionally, consider pursuing certifications or additional education in your field to supplement the unaccredited degree.