Applied Physics at Purdue a good idea?

In summary, Applied Physics here at Purdue takes all of the core classes of the Physics degree (physics and college of science requirements), removes the 30 credit hours of electives you normally take, and replaces them with classes for a "specialization", whatever that may be. So basically, you earn a full General Physics degree and take 30 credit hours of Nuclear Physics, Astrophysics, Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, or whatever other science/engineering subject you want in place of the electives in the General Physics degree. So basically, you just learn a lot more than a General Physics major about science/engineering subjects (and are more diverse when it comes to looking for a job). The only classes you lose from
Mzachman
I've been look at some stuff about applied physics recently to see if I would be interested in doing that, but it seems like mostly everywhere else it is different than it is here at Purdue.

Applied Physics here at Purdue takes all of the core classes of the Physics degree (physics and college of science requirements), removes the 30 credit hours of electives you normally take, and replaces them with classes for a "specialization", whatever that may be. So basically you earn a full General Physics degree and take 30 credit hours of Nuclear Physics, Astrophysics, Electrical/Mechanical Engineering, Chemistry, Biology, or whatever other science/engineering subject you want in place of the electives in the General Physics degree. So basically you just learn a lot more than a General Physics major about science/engineering subjects (and are more diverse when it comes to looking for a job).

The only classes you lose from the General Physics degree are the last two, a choice between PHYS 536 or 580 which are "Electronic Techniques For Research" or Computational Physics", and then a 300+ Astro/physics elective.

Then they also have a program to get an Applied Physics Master's in a year after your undergraduate graduation. You take 30 more credit hours of graduate level classes this time, 12 of which are Physics credits, and 18 of them are for your "specialization" again. That would take one extra year.

So what do you think? Sound good, or no?

PS, I've been at Purdue 3 years and I'm switching to Physics this summer. Applied would take me a semester or possibly a year longer than General Physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody has any thoughts on this? Lol. I'll bet somebody does...

Its three years late but, I'm am going to Purdue in the fall for this. I have similar questions as well. So did you stick with Applied?

1. Is the Applied Physics program at Purdue highly ranked?

Yes, the Applied Physics program at Purdue is consistently ranked as one of the top programs in the country by various organizations and publications, such as U.S. News & World Report and the National Research Council.

2. What career opportunities are available for graduates of Purdue's Applied Physics program?

Graduates of Purdue's Applied Physics program have a variety of career opportunities, including working in research and development, engineering, consulting, and academia. They may also find employment in industries such as aerospace, energy, and telecommunications.

3. What sets Purdue's Applied Physics program apart from other universities?

Purdue's Applied Physics program offers a unique combination of rigorous coursework, hands-on research opportunities, and access to cutting-edge facilities and equipment. The program also has strong connections with industry partners, providing students with valuable networking and internship opportunities.

4. What types of research is being conducted within Purdue's Applied Physics program?

Research within Purdue's Applied Physics program covers a broad range of topics, including nanotechnology, photonics, biophysics, and material science. The program also has a strong focus on interdisciplinary research, allowing students to collaborate with faculty from different departments and fields of study.

5. Are there opportunities for undergraduate students to get involved in research within the Applied Physics program at Purdue?

Yes, undergraduate students at Purdue have the opportunity to participate in research projects within the Applied Physics program. Many students work in research labs alongside faculty and graduate students, gaining valuable hands-on experience and contributing to cutting-edge research initiatives.