How do I find the line of action of this resultant force?

In summary, Three forces are applied to a body: F1 = (4,5) applied at (1,2), F2 = (2,-1) applied at (3,-1), and F3 = (-3, 2) applied at (-2,1). The resultant force is R = (3,6) and the total moment about the origin is -5 Nm. The line of action of R cuts the Y-axis at (0,d), where d can be found by assuming that R is applied at (0,d) and its moment about the origin is -5 Nm. Consistency with plus and minus signs should be maintained when determining the value of d.
aps0324
Three forces are applied to a body. They are :

F1 = (4,5) applied at (1,2)

F2 = (2,-1) applied at (3,-1)

F3 = (-3, 2) applied at (-2,1)

i) Find the resultant force

Answer : R = (3,6)

ii) Find the total moment about the origin

(This i know how to do)

iii) The line of action of R cuts the Y-axis at (0,d). Find d

iv) Find the equation of this line of action

How do I solve iii) and iv)

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you try calculating the moments about the origin from the the x and y components of the forces separately? Then you can find a set of coordinates through which the resultant passes ([tex] X = \Sigma{(F_y(x))}/R_y[/tex], etc.), the slope of which resultant is R_y/R_x.

Is this assumption correct? (force vectors and moment)

F3 = (-3, 2) applied at (-2,1)

i) Find the resultant force

Answer: I calculated this and it is -5 Nm

Question: Can I assume that R = (3,6) is applied at (0,d) and its moment about the origin is - 5Nm? In order to find what d is?

If that assumption is wrong then how do i find d?

aps0324 said:

F3 = (-3, 2) applied at (-2,1)i) Find the resultant force

Answer: I calculated this and it is -5 Nm

Question: Can I assume that R = (3,6) is applied at (0,d) and its moment about the origin is - 5Nm? In order to find what d is?

If that assumption is wrong then how do i find d?

Can you show your work on determining the moment in part ii)?

Isn't it the cross product of the F X r ?

Doesn't that yield

(4*2 + 5*1) + (2*(-1) + (-1)*3) + ((-3)*1 + 2*(-2)) = ... but ≠ -5

I merged two duplicate threads.

aps0324 said:
Can I assume that R = (3,6) is applied at (0,d) and its moment about the origin is - 5Nm? In order to find what d is?
Yeah, as long as you are consistent with your plus and minus signs, that is to say, is d on the positive or negative y axis?

1. How do I determine the direction of the resultant force?

The direction of the resultant force can be determined by drawing a vector diagram, where the magnitude and direction of all individual forces are represented. The resultant force will be the vector sum of all forces, pointing in the direction of the final vector.

2. What is the formula for finding the line of action of a resultant force?

The formula for finding the line of action of a resultant force is to first calculate the magnitude and direction of the resultant force. Then, use the formula: line of action = (sum of moments of all forces) / (sum of forces).

3. How do I find the line of action of a resultant force using trigonometry?

To find the line of action of a resultant force using trigonometry, you will need to know the angle of the resultant force with respect to a reference axis. Then, use the formula: line of action = (distance from reference axis) * sin(angle).

4. Can the line of action of a resultant force change?

Yes, the line of action of a resultant force can change depending on the magnitude and direction of the individual forces that make up the resultant force. As these forces change, the line of action of the resultant force will also change.

5. What are some practical applications of finding the line of action of a resultant force?

Knowing the line of action of a resultant force is important in various fields such as engineering, physics, and mechanics. It can help determine the stability and balance of structures, and also aid in understanding the motion of objects. It is also useful in designing and analyzing mechanical systems, such as pulleys, gears, and levers.