Gradient of a scalar field in a given direction

In summary, to find the gradient of a scalar field, h, at a specific point in a given direction, one can use the scalar product of the gradient with a unit vector in that direction. This will give the direction of maximum slope and its magnitude will be the slope itself. This method can be found in various resources such as the books "Calculus, Volume 1" and "Introduction to Vector Analysis" as well as online sources like Physics Forums and lecture notes from the University of Edinburgh.
mudkip9001
I have to find the gradient of a scalar field, h, at a certain point in a direction given by a vector.

I know, [tex]\vec{\nabla}h[/tex] will give me the direction of maximum slope, and its magnitude is the magnitude of the slope, but i don't know where to start in finding the slope in any other direction. I've looked through my notes and all over the internet, with no luck.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Take the scalar product of [tex]\vec{\nabla}h[/tex] with a unit vector in the given direction.

VeeEight said:
Take the scalar product of [tex]\vec{\nabla}h[/tex] with a unit vector in the given direction.

thank you very much! I can't believe i couldn't find that anywhere. I'm happy to tke your word for it, but any chance you have a proof or reference of that for future referance?

1. What is the definition of gradient of a scalar field in a given direction?

The gradient of a scalar field in a given direction is a vector that represents the rate of change of the scalar field in that specific direction. It is calculated by taking the partial derivative of the scalar field with respect to each variable and then combining them into a vector.

2. How is the gradient of a scalar field in a given direction used in physics and mathematics?

In physics, the gradient of a scalar field is used to calculate the direction and magnitude of the flow of a physical quantity, such as temperature or pressure. In mathematics, it is used to find the direction of steepest ascent or descent of a scalar function.

3. Can the gradient of a scalar field in a given direction be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a scalar field in a given direction can be negative. This indicates that the scalar field is decreasing in that direction.

4. How does the direction of the gradient of a scalar field affect the rate of change?

The direction of the gradient of a scalar field is always perpendicular to the level curves or surfaces of the scalar field. This means that the rate of change is greatest in the direction of the gradient and decreases as you move away from that direction.

5. What is the relationship between the gradient of a scalar field and its contour lines?

The gradient of a scalar field is always perpendicular to the contour lines of the scalar field. This means that the gradient points in the direction of increasing values of the scalar field, while the contour lines represent points with the same value of the scalar field.