Does studying engineering at a 2 yr college take longer to transfer than other majors

In summary, it seems that it takes longer to be able to transfer from a 2 year college to a 4 year one if you have an engineering major. It can probably be said of most science related majors though.
land_of_ice
Does it take longer to be able to transfer from a 2 year college to a 4 year one if you have an engineering major
It seems that engineering majors require more time at 2 year colleges than other majors do , is this true or not ?

Physics news on Phys.org

My two year school requires around 73 hours to get the transfer degree. According the recommened schedule it's about 17-18 hours a semester for four semesters.

I can't comment on it taking longer, however I don't see how it would...unless you take classes you don't need. I'm not really sure it could take longer since you should only be completing required classes at the two year that are also needed at the 4 year.

In my case I won't be getting an actual transfer degree from my two year school as there are three classes the school I am transfering to aren't needed. If I took those extra two classes I guess it would take longer since I'd have to add another semester to finish those two classes.

In general, I'd say engineering majors do take longer as there are more prereqs needed before you can take the needed courses for transfer in your intended major. This can probably be said of most science related majors though. I think the only big prereqs for humanities are for English if one can't start out at the college level. Depending on the school that you are transferring to though, you may or may not need to take a lot of the courses at the community college level. Most people tend to take them at community colleges though as it tends to be cheaper.

CKwik240 said:
In general, I'd say engineering majors do take longer as there are more prereqs needed before you can take the needed courses for transfer in your intended major. This can probably be said of most science related majors though. I think the only big prereqs for humanities are for English if one can't start out at the college level. Depending on the school that you are transferring to though, you may or may not need to take a lot of the courses at the community college level. Most people tend to take them at community colleges though as it tends to be cheaper.

I agree, the main factors that can determine how long it would take you to transfer are:

1. Pre-reqs - Some students may need to take more supplemental classes than others.
2. Cost - The idea that some students follow in my school is if they can take the class at the CC, then take it; it'll save them money.

Obviously, time can be another factor if you work full time.

it comepletely depends on the school. Some schools might not be willing to accept some of your transfer credits while others will. Obviously if one school won't accept all of your transfer credit then you will have to stay longer to make up these classes. I would try to find a school that you know is going to accept all of your credits.

I agree with what is being said here. If the student isn't 'ready' to take only the engineering related classes, then it will take longer since they need to start with the supplementary stuff. However, if the student is ready to dive right in, then it should not take 'much' longer than if you just started out at the 4 year school so long as they accept all of the credits.

I say 'much' longer because usually the 4 year school has 1 or 2 classes that you have to take there. For example, my community college offered 'Intro to Engineering' but even if I had taken it at the CC (which I did not) I would have had to take it at my 4 year University because they area little 'snobby' about some things like that.

But I can't complain since they took all 2 years of my general ed requirements/engineering transfer credits.

1. How long does it take to transfer from a 2-year college for engineering?

The length of time it takes to transfer from a 2-year college for engineering can vary depending on a few factors. Generally, it takes 2-3 years to complete an associate's degree in engineering at a 2-year college, and then an additional 2 years to complete a bachelor's degree at a 4-year college or university. This means that it can take a total of 4-5 years to transfer from a 2-year college for engineering.

2. Is studying engineering at a 2-year college more difficult than other majors?

The difficulty level of engineering at a 2-year college is similar to other majors. However, engineering is a rigorous and challenging field in general, so it may require more time and effort to complete the coursework. Additionally, since engineering is a highly specialized field, there may be more technical and hands-on courses that require additional time and practice.

3. Are there any benefits to studying engineering at a 2-year college before transferring?

Studying engineering at a 2-year college can have several benefits before transferring to a 4-year institution. It allows students to complete general education requirements at a lower cost, gain a strong foundation in math and science, and have smaller class sizes for more individualized attention. It also provides a smoother transition into a 4-year engineering program.

4. Will I be at a disadvantage if I transfer from a 2-year college for engineering?

No, transferring from a 2-year college for engineering does not put you at a disadvantage. As long as the 2-year college is accredited and you have completed the necessary coursework, you should be able to transfer seamlessly to a 4-year institution. It is important to research and plan out the transfer process to ensure all credits will transfer and meet the requirements of your desired 4-year program.

5. Can I get a job in engineering with a 2-year degree?

While some entry-level engineering jobs may be available to those with a 2-year degree, a bachelor's degree is typically required for most engineering positions. However, completing a 2-year degree in engineering can provide a strong foundation and skills that can be applied to various technical or engineering-related jobs. Additionally, it can also serve as a stepping stone towards pursuing a higher degree in engineering.