Physics Challenge: Explaining Forces & Common Ground

• Thread starter interestedman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the challenge for physics to explain the causes behind every force is ongoing. There are currently 3 quantum forces and general relativity that make up the standard model, but the laws of physics are still not fully understood. There is no clear explanation for why the laws of physics are as they are, and it is currently believed that they could have occurred in a different way.
interestedman
how serious is the challenge to physics to explain the causes behind every force that we know of?and is physics trying to get over its scientists differences of approaches in this regard?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you clarify your question? It can be read several ways. Scientists are always working to better explain the laws, but not sure what you mean by "causes behind the forces". For example, gravity is well explained by General Relativity.

thank you dr chinese,i mean,the causes or the initiators ,the mother force if you like,that has caused the laws to exist?,the initial cause or determinent behing them,could these forces be relegated to a single creating force?if yes why and if no why is that.

interestedman said:
thank you dr chinese,i mean,the causes or the initiators ,the mother force if you like,that has caused the laws to exist?,the initial cause or determinent behing them,could these forces be relegated to a single creating force?if yes why and if no why is that.

At this point, the standard model has 3 quantum forces (strong, weak, electromagnetic) plus general relativity (gravity). I don't see that there is much that really explains why the laws of physics are as they are, nor why there is something rather than nothing. Most of this is currently considered more or less as free parameters that could have conceivably have occurred another way.

I think you are talking about what Paul Davies calls "ultimate explanation". Why the universe formed and operates the way it does. And could it have been any different.

Watch this lecture series:

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks freeman,is there any online resource for the ultimate explanation?

in a written form

interestedman said:
thanks freeman,is there any online resource for the ultimate explanation?

http://cosmos.asu.edu/prize_address.htm

http://cosmos.asu.edu/research/current.htm

The author mentions a Mother Force', and a 'Single Creating Force'.
Interestedman, can you please be more specific with regard to what you are looking for? Do you want us to tell you that there may be a single, 'Almighty' force of some kind? A Force that "creates all things", perhaps?

dear anderson,thanks for the reply,i am not looking for one answer rather than another,i am only asking about the cause of the laws of physics,can you enlighten me with how physics is close to an explanation,that is all,thanks.:smile:

DrChinese said:
At this point, the standard model has 3 quantum forces (strong, weak, electromagnetic) plus general relativity (gravity). I don't see that there is much that really explains why the laws of physics are as they are, nor why there is something rather than nothing. Most of this is currently considered more or less as free parameters that could have conceivably have occurred another way.

dear dr chinese,what do you mean "could have conceivably have occurred another way",thanks.

interestedman said:
dear dr chinese,what do you mean "could have conceivably have occurred another way",thanks.

There is no underlying physical law that prevents them from being different to they way they are (i.e. they could have different strengths), that we know of that is.

1. What is the concept of force in physics?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can be described as a push or pull on an object that causes it to accelerate or change its motion.

2. How are forces measured in physics?

Forces are measured using a unit called Newtons (N). One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared (1 N = 1 kg * 1 m/s^2).

3. What is the difference between contact and non-contact forces?

Contact forces are those that require physical contact between two objects, such as friction or tension. Non-contact forces, on the other hand, do not require physical contact and can act over a distance, such as gravity or magnetic forces.

4. How do Newton's laws of motion relate to forces?

Newton's laws of motion describe how forces affect the motion of an object. The first law states that an object at rest will remain at rest, and an object in motion will remain in motion at a constant velocity unless acted upon by an external force. The second law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. The third law states that for every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.

5. What is the concept of "common ground" in relation to forces?

"Common ground" refers to the idea that all objects in the universe are subject to the same fundamental forces, regardless of their size or composition. This means that the same laws of physics apply to all objects, whether they are microscopic particles or massive planets.