Greatest common divisor | Relatively prime

In summary, the claim is that n! + 1 and (n+1)! + 1 are relatively prime. Proving this using mathematical induction is a possible method, as demonstrated by the base case (n=1) and the induction hypothesis (assuming the statement is true for n=k). However, further steps are required to prove the statement for n=k+1. Another approach suggested is to use proof by contradiction, assuming that n! + 1 and (n+1)! + 1 are not relatively prime and showing that this leads to a contradiction. This can be done by considering a prime number or any integer greater than 1 that divides both numbers.
kingwinner said:
Why is it sufficient to check only for the case where d is prime?)
Because the general case can be reduced to this particular case. Do you see how?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hurkyl said:
One never has to talk about divisibility or anything -- just finish computing the GCD with Euclidean's algorithm and get 1.

Perfectly true, but the OP stated that he hadn't covered the Euclidean algorithm when working this problem.

Petek

Hurkyl said:
Because the general case can be reduced to this particular case. Do you see how?
No.

Why can we assume that d is a "prime" without any loss of generality?

kingwinner said:
No.

Why can we assume that d is a "prime" without any loss of generality?

If d is a prime, we're done. If d is not prime, then ... . (Do you know the "fundamental theorem of arithmetic"? If not, look it up on Wikipedia,)

Petek

Petek said:
If d is a prime, we're done. If d is not prime, then ... . (Do you know the "fundamental theorem of arithmetic"? If not, look it up on Wikipedia,)

Petek

OK, I looked it up on Wikipedia and that theorem says that every integer greater than 1 can be uniquely factored into primes.

If we assumed that d is prime that divides both n! + 1 and (n + 1)! +1 and reached a contradiction, this means that no prime divides both n! + 1 and (n + 1)! +1.

But still, why does it follow that
"No prime divides both n! + 1 and (n + 1)! +1 => no integer greater than 1 divides both n! + 1 and (n + 1)! +1" ?

(sorry, I am very new to number theory and many things do not seem so obvious to me...)

Thanks for explaining!

kingwinner said:
But still, why does it follow that
"No prime divides both n! + 1 and (n + 1)! +1 => no integer greater than 1 divides both n! + 1 and (n + 1)! +1" ?

Because if an integer does divide both, then either that integer is a prime, or it isn't, whcih means it's divisible by a prime, and so that prime divides both. :wink:

Thanks, that makes sense.

The claim is a statement of the form "... for all natural numbers n".

In this case, can we prove that n! + 1 and (n+1)! + 1 are relatively prime by mathematical induction?

When I see statements like this(about some claim is true for all natural numbers n), my first thought is to prove by mathematical induction, but maybe in this case it doesn't work?

kingwinner said:
When I see statements like this(about some claim is true for all natural numbers n), my first thought is to prove by mathematical induction …

erm :redface: … it shouldn't be!

Always try to prove something simply and directly, first.

If you can't se a simple proof, then try induction.

In this case, I'd be surprised if there was a proof by induction, and I'd be amazed if it was simpler! :biggrin:

kingwinner said:
Actually you are right. I don't know what I was thinking before.

d | (n!)n => d | n! or d | n
If d | n!, then d | n!
If d | n, then d | n!
So d | (n!)n => d | n! or d | n => d | n!

But we don't know what "n" is, so there does not seem to be any contradiction...?
If d > 1 how can it divide n! and n!+1 ?

Only using properties of gcd, in two steps you get (n!+1,(n+1)!+1) = (n!+1,n), and by the Euclidean algorithm, n!+1 = n(n-1)! + 1, has remainder 1, hence coprime.
kingwinner, good luck with MAT315.