Linear Transformation On V.

In summary, we discussed a question about proving certain equalities and uniqueness of decompositions for linear transformations. We showed that ker(T) = im(I-T) and ker(I-T) = im(T), and that every vector in V can be uniquely expressed as a sum of a vector in ker(T) and a vector in im(T). We also discussed how the identity transformation can be used to prove these equalities.
nlews
Hello,

I am working through some examples for revision purposes and am pondering over this question so would appreciate any help I could receive.

I would like to prove that if T is a linear transformation on V such that T^2 = T, and I is the identity transformation on V,

i)Ker(T) = im(I-T) and ker(I-T) =im (T)
ii) kerT n imT = {0}
ii)and that every vEV can be uniquily expressed in the form v=u+w where u E kerT and w E imT

Attempts:
i)
I am unsure how to begin this question.

ii) We know that both ker(T) and ker (T^2) will have the same dimension, therefore it follows that we have equality, kerT = ker(T^2)
Suppose v E Ker(T) n Im(T) then Tv= 0 and so (T^2)v =0, but then w E ker(T^2). Therefore, we have that w E ker T, but then v = T(w) = 0, therefore ker(T)n im(T) = {0}
I think this is quite confused, I cannot see the correct logic but will keep trying to come up with a clearer proof, any help would be good aswell.

iii) Suppose there are u,u' E kerT and w,w' E imT such that v= u+w and v = u'+w'
then these equations imply that u-u'=w-w' E kerT n imT = {0} (from part ii)

Thank you for your help in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
i) You know that 0 = T - T^2 = T(I-T), so im(I-T) is a subset of ker T. The reverse inclusion is even easier and I'll leave it to you. The proof that I am T = ker(I-T) is quite similar.

ii) Your proof is pretty good, but you neglected to say that w is in V such that Tw = v, so that might be causing a little confusion.

iii) You've given a good proof that every such decomposition is unique, but you haven't said why such a decomposition must exist. To do so, consider the identity I = (I-T)+T.

1. What is a linear transformation on V?

A linear transformation on V is a function that maps a vector space V to another vector space V'. It preserves the linear structure of V, meaning that the transformation of a linear combination of vectors in V will be equal to the same linear combination of the transformed vectors in V'.

2. How is a linear transformation represented?

A linear transformation on V can be represented by a matrix. Each column of the matrix contains the coefficients of the transformed basis vectors. The transformation of a vector can be calculated by multiplying the vector by this matrix.

3. What are the properties of a linear transformation?

Some important properties of a linear transformation include:

• Preservation of vector addition: T(u + v) = T(u) + T(v)
  • Preservation of scalar multiplication: T(cu) = cT(u)
  • Preservation of zero vector: T(0) = 0

4. How can I determine if a transformation is linear?

To determine if a transformation is linear, you can check if it satisfies the properties mentioned above. If the transformation breaks any of these properties, it is not linear.

5. What is the importance of linear transformations in mathematics and science?

Linear transformations are important in various fields of mathematics and science because they provide a powerful tool to model and analyze systems. They are used in linear algebra, engineering, physics, and computer science, among others, to describe and solve problems involving vector spaces and linear systems.