Straight Line from polar co-ordinates

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving finding the magnitude and direction of a vector from point A to point B on a polar plot. The speaker provides steps on how to calculate this and mentions implementing it successfully.
pd5009
Hi All,
This is my first post. I am an Electronics Engineer and came by this great forum while searching something for my presently running project.
Could anyone please help me with the following:

I have two points A(magnitude1,phase1[deg]) and B(magnitude2,phase2[deg]) on the input side. Also, I have the Time input to travel from pt.A to pt.B

I have one polar plot as indicator output.

I need to show on the polar plot a line which is gradually increasing from pt.A to pt.B in a straight line on the polar plot.

You may refer the picture attached to get an idea of what I am trying to do.

Thanks!

Attachments

• Temp.JPG
    Temp.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 415
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume what you're looking for is the magnitude and direction of the vector from point A [itex](2,\angle 10^\circ)[/tex] to point B [itex](20, \angle 60^\circ )[/tex].

First, convert the coordinates of each point from polar to rectangular:

Point A:
[tex]X = 2 \cos(10), Y = 2 \sin(10) \approx (1.970, 0.347)[/tex]

Point B:
[tex]X = 20 \cos(60), Y = 20 \sin(60) \approx (10, 17.321)[/tex]:

Next, find the change in X [itex](\Delta X)[/tex] and the change in Y [itex](\Delta Y)[/tex]:

[tex]\Delta X = X_B - X_A \approx 10 - 1.970 \approx 8.030[/tex]

[tex]\Delta Y = Y_B - Y_A \approx 17.321 - 0.347 \approx 16.973[/tex]

Now, find the length of the line segment [itex]M[/tex] using the Pythagorean Theorem:

[tex]M = \sqrt{8.030^2 + 16.973^2} \approx 18.777[/tex]

Lastly, find the angle of the line segment [itex]\alpha[/tex]:

[tex]\alpha \approx \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{\Delta Y}{\Delta X}\right) \approx \tan^{-1} \left( \frac{16.973}{8.030} \right) \approx \tan^{-1}(2.114) \approx 64.680^\circ[/tex]

(I only rounded the numbers for display, not for intermediate calculations)

So, your resulting line segment from point A to point B can be represented by the vector [itex](m, \alpha) \approx (18.777, \angle 64.680^\circ)[/tex]

Hope this helps!

^ ^ Thanks :) I implemented that in my software and it worked :)

1. What are polar co-ordinates?

Polar co-ordinates are a way of representing points in a two-dimensional coordinate system using a distance from the origin and an angle from a reference direction.

2. How do you convert polar co-ordinates to a straight line?

To convert polar co-ordinates to a straight line, you can use the formula x = r*cos(theta) and y = r*sin(theta), where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle from the reference direction.

3. Can a straight line be represented by polar co-ordinates?

Yes, a straight line can be represented by polar co-ordinates using the formula r = x*cos(theta) + y*sin(theta), where x and y are the coordinates of any point on the line and theta is the angle from the reference direction.

4. What is the difference between polar and Cartesian coordinates?

Polar co-ordinates use a distance and angle to represent a point, while Cartesian coordinates use x and y values. Additionally, polar co-ordinates are often used to represent circular or rotational motion, while Cartesian coordinates are typically used for linear motion.

5. How are polar co-ordinates used in real-world applications?

Polar co-ordinates are commonly used in navigation, astronomy, and physics to describe the position and movement of objects. They are also used in engineering and architecture for design and construction purposes.