Questions about the basic properties of Integers

In summary, the discussion was about starting Number Theory with no textbook and relying on class notes. The concept of Z, the set of integers, was introduced. Two problems were discussed: showing 1<=a when a is an element of Z and 0 < a, and showing that a<=b when a divides b and b>0. Some clarification was needed on the definition of "<" and its relation to 0.
ninjagod123
I am starting Number Theory this semester. My professor hands out notes but there is no textbook for the class. So hopefully you guys can help me with these seemingly easy problems.

Z = {...,-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,5,...}
Z is used to denote the set of integers

1) Show that if a is an element of Z and 0< a, then 1<=a

2) Let a and b be integers. Let us say that a divides b if there is an integer c such that b = ac. Show that if b>0 and a divides b then a<=b.

All we have learned so far are basic arithmetic properties, the Well-Ordering Principle, and the Induction Principle.

Physics news on Phys.org
ninjagod123 said:
I am starting Number Theory this semester. My professor hands out notes but there is no textbook for the class. So hopefully you guys can help me with these seemingly easy problems.

Z = {...,-5,-4,-3,-2,-1,0,1,2,3,4,5,...}
Z is used to denote the set of integers

1) Show that if a is an element of Z and 0< a, then 1<=a

2) Let a and b be integers. Let us say that a divides b if there is an integer c such that b = ac. Show that if b>0 and a divides b then a<=b.

All we have learned so far are basic arithmetic properties, the Well-Ordering Principle, and the Induction Principle.

I am not sure what you are allowed to use but it seems like you have some ordering on the integers that gives you an idea 0f < and <=. What is that?

wofsy said:
I am not sure what you are allowed to use but it seems like you have some ordering on the integers that gives you an idea 0f < and <=. What is that?

Hey sorry I don't understand. In class, some students attempted solutions but the solutions didn't satisfy the professor.

ninjagod123 said:
Hey sorry I don't understand. In class, some students attempted solutions but the solutions didn't satisfy the professor.

what definition of < are you using?

The reason I ask is that I don't see what allows you to say that any number is greater or less than any other. Why is 3 < 12?

wofsy said:
what definition of < are you using?

The reason I ask is that I don't see what allows you to say that any number is greater or less than any other. Why is 3 < 12?

I don't know what kind of definitions there are. But since this was the first day, and the professor didn't say anything, I suppose we use the general definitions? I guess that's too vauge.

ninjagod123 said:
I don't know what kind of definitions there are. But since this was the first day, and the professor didn't say anything, I suppose we use the general definitions? I guess that's too vauge.
What wofsy wants is the answer to the question
If a<b how does a-b relate to 0? The general definition of "<" will do fine.

1. What are integers and how are they different from other types of numbers?

Integers are whole numbers that do not have any fractional or decimal parts. They can be positive, negative, or zero. Unlike other types of numbers, such as fractions or decimals, integers do not have any decimal points or remainders.

2. What is the difference between a positive and a negative integer?

A positive integer is any whole number greater than zero, while a negative integer is any whole number less than zero. Positive integers are represented with a plus sign (+) and negative integers are represented with a minus sign (-).

3. How are integers used in real life situations?

Integers are used in many real-life situations, such as counting objects, measuring distances, and keeping track of money. They are also used in mathematical equations and formulas to represent quantities and solve problems.

4. Can integers be divided?

Yes, integers can be divided. When dividing integers, the result may be a whole number or a decimal. If the division results in a decimal, it is called a rational number. For example, 6 divided by 3 is 2, but 7 divided by 3 is 2.3333...

5. How do you compare integers?

Integers can be compared by using the symbols <, >, and =. When comparing integers, the larger number is always greater than the smaller number. For example, 5 > 3 and -10 < -5. If the two numbers are equal, they are represented with an equal sign (=).