Understanding the Difference Between Original and Instantaneous Rest Frame

In summary, the terms "original rest frame" and "instantaneous rest frame" are used to refer to a specific rest frame in a problem involving accelerated motion. The original rest frame is the frame of reference before any accelerated motion begins, while the instantaneous rest frame is the frame at a specific instant during the motion. The choice of which frame to use depends on the specific problem and what is being calculated.
wam_mi
Hi there,

Could anyone explain to me what is the different between the two terms

(i) Original rest frame
(ii) Instantaneous rest frame

When do we prefer to work in the original rest frame but not the instantaneous one and why? And when do we prefer to work in the instantaneous rest frame but not the original one ,and why? Could anyone explain this perhaps with an example?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
wam_mi said:
Hi there,

(i) Original rest frame

I guess you mean:

(i) Original inertial rest frame of an accelerating object
(ii) Instantaneous inertial rest frame of an accelerating object

(i) is just (ii) at the begin of the observation.

wam_mi said:
Hi there,

(i) Original rest frame

When do we prefer to work in the original rest frame but not the instantaneous one and why? And when do we prefer to work in the instantaneous rest frame but not the original one ,and why? Could anyone explain this perhaps with an example?

Thanks a lot!

These are not really technical terms with a single well defined meanings, but merely ways to identify a rest frame in a particular problem or example. You might say the rest frame of the launch pad, or the rest frame of the Klingon, or the rest frame "A", or what ever.

The terms you are using are most likely with reference to a problem in which there is some kind of accelerated motion; a space ship, perhaps. A spaceship which accelerates does not correspond to an inertial frame. But you speak of various aspects in a given rest frame. So which frame could you take?

An "initial" rest frame would be a useful way to refer to the rest frame of a coasting spaceship before it starts some kind of accelerated motion.

An "instantaneous" rest frame would the the frame in which the velocity of the ship is zero at that instant -- even though it is accelerating and changing velocity -- and (usually) in which the location of the spaceship is the origin of the frame.

What frame you use depends on what you want to do.

If you want to calculate, for example, the angular size of a star that the ship is approaching, then you could use the instantaneous rest frame. But if you want to calculate the total age of the pilot, it may be easier to pick the initial rest frame, and just integrate the proper time in that frame. What frame you use and what you call it depends on the problem you are considering.

Cheers -- sylas

1. What is the original rest frame?

The original rest frame is a reference frame in which an object is at rest and not experiencing any acceleration. In this frame, the object's position and velocity remain constant over time.

2. What is the instantaneous rest frame?

The instantaneous rest frame is a reference frame in which an object is at rest at a specific moment in time. Unlike the original rest frame, the object's position and velocity may be changing over time in this frame.

3. How are the original and instantaneous rest frames different?

The main difference between the two frames is that the original rest frame is constant over time, while the instantaneous rest frame is specific to a particular moment. This means that the object's position and velocity may be different in the two frames, depending on when they are observed.

4. Why is it important to understand the difference between the original and instantaneous rest frames?

Understanding the difference between these two frames is crucial in many areas of physics, such as relativity and mechanics. It allows scientists to accurately describe the motion and behavior of objects, and make predictions about their future behavior.

5. How can one determine the rest frame of an object?

The rest frame of an object can be determined by observing its motion and acceleration. If an object is not experiencing any acceleration, it is in its original rest frame. If an object is at rest at a particular moment, it is in its instantaneous rest frame at that moment.