Wiring a 6 channel audio with a 2 channel RCA

In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker setup for a PS3 and PC, with the individual wanting to create a box to switch between the two. They are having trouble with the switch and are looking for guidance on how to wire it up to keep the channels separate. They also provide a visual representation of their setup and mention using a SPDT switch.
Wetmelon
Hi folks, I'm wanting to buy a PS3 but have nowhere to plug in my audio except through a 5.1 system that's already being used by my PC. So, I decided to make a little box to wire up the two together and switch between them. But I'm having trouble with the switch... here's a nice picture in paint of what I want to do:

Audio Interface.png

The 6 channel in and out are both sets of 3 3.5mm stereo phone jacks (female) and the RCA is well... RCA left & right female. The RCA would be wired the appropriate left or right side for all 3 output jacks, giving stereo sound through all speakers

I figured I needed a SPDT switch, but how do I wire up a switch to change between sets of wires that need to stay independent of each other?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Just to follow up, this is what I came up with:

attachment.php?attachmentid=24838&stc=1&d=1270283083.png

Attachments

• Interface Diagram.png
    Interface Diagram.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 563

What is the purpose of wiring a 6 channel audio with a 2 channel RCA?

The purpose of wiring a 6 channel audio with a 2 channel RCA is to connect a device with a 6 channel output, such as a surround sound system, to a device with a 2 channel input, such as a TV or stereo receiver. This allows for the transmission of audio signals from multiple channels to be played through a single device.

What equipment do I need to wire a 6 channel audio with a 2 channel RCA?

To wire a 6 channel audio with a 2 channel RCA, you will need a 6 channel audio source, a 2 channel input device, an RCA cable, and possibly an RCA splitter or converter depending on the specific equipment being used. It is important to ensure that all equipment is compatible and of good quality for optimal audio performance.

How do I connect a 6 channel audio to a 2 channel input device?

To connect a 6 channel audio to a 2 channel input device, first locate the 6 channel audio outputs on the source device. Then, connect one end of the RCA cable to the corresponding audio outputs and the other end to the RCA inputs on the 2 channel device. If needed, use an RCA splitter or converter to ensure the correct connections are made.

Will there be a loss of audio quality when using a 6 channel audio with a 2 channel RCA?

There may be a slight loss of audio quality when using a 6 channel audio with a 2 channel RCA, as the signal is being compressed and transmitted through fewer channels. However, with high quality equipment and proper connections, the difference in audio quality should be minimal and not noticeable to the average listener.

Can I use multiple 6 channel audio sources with a single 2 channel input device?

In most cases, it is not possible to use multiple 6 channel audio sources with a single 2 channel input device. This is because the input device is not designed to handle multiple audio signals simultaneously. However, there are some advanced audio systems that allow for this type of setup, but they require specialized equipment and configurations.