Calculating the Density Function for Redistribution of Melted Ice on Earth

• Thread starter metgt4
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ice
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the density function for the redistribution of mass if all the ice on Earth were to melt and be evenly distributed. One person suggests using a disc of infinitesimal thickness at the equator to represent the moment of inertia, while the other person points out that a shell surrounding the Earth would be a more accurate representation. They conclude with gratitude for the guidance.
metgt4
Hey Everybody,

Right now I'm working on a what would happen to the moment of inertia if all of the ice on Earth melted and were to be redistributed. I've found the moment of inertia of all of the grounded ice on Earth and the moment of inertia of the Earth without this ice, but now I need to redistribute this mass evenly over the surface of the earth. I know that the moment of inertia of this redistribution could be shown as a disc of infinitesimal thickness at the equator, but the mass distribution would be less at the centre of this disc and increase as you got further and further from the centre. How would you go about finding the density function in this problem? This one has me stumped!

Thanks!
Andrew

Physics news on Phys.org
If the mass is distributed evenly, it would be a shell of uniform thickness surrounding the Earth. Since this shell is very thin compared to Earth's radius, you can compute its moment of inertia using I=2/3*MR^2, valid for a thin shell.

Oh, man, I must REALLY need some sleep! I just got in the routine of estimating everything as a disc rotating around the axis. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction there.

1. What would happen if all of the ice on Earth melted?

If all of the ice on Earth melted, sea levels would rise by approximately 216 feet (66 meters). This would submerge many coastal cities and low-lying areas, displacing millions of people. It would also lead to changes in ocean currents and weather patterns.

2. How long would it take for all of the ice to melt?

It is difficult to give an exact timeline for when all of the ice on Earth would melt, as it would depend on various factors such as temperature changes and melting rates. However, some studies estimate that if global temperatures continue to rise at the current rate, all of the ice could melt within a few hundred years.

3. Would all of the ice melt at the same rate?

No, the rate at which different types of ice (glaciers, polar ice caps, etc.) would melt varies. Additionally, the melting rate can also be affected by factors such as location and weather conditions.

4. What would happen to wildlife if all of the ice melted?

The loss of ice would have a significant impact on wildlife that rely on ice for survival, such as polar bears and penguins. Many species would likely face extinction, and their habitats would be drastically altered.

5. How would melting ice affect global temperatures?

The melting of ice would contribute to a rise in global temperatures, as ice reflects sunlight and helps regulate the Earth's temperature. With less ice, more sunlight would be absorbed, leading to further warming of the planet.