Computing Central Force Potential: Bound from |r| to Infinity

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of potential for a central force of the form F(r) = f(r)r, and equation1 for the potential V(r). The integral for V(r) is stated to be bounded from |r| to infinity, but the reason for this is not clear. Additionally, there is a question about the potential for a force that is dependent on the position vector r but not its magnitude.
mystraid
Hello,

I am trying to compute the potential for a central force of the form: F(r) = f(r)r
where r=|r|

Using the conservative force information, equation1 comes for potential V(r):

equation1: V(r) = [tex]\int [/tex] (-F(r))= [tex]\int [/tex] (-f(r) r)

In http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_force" it is stated that this integral is bounded from |r| to infinity. However I could not understand the reason.

Could someone help me?
Thanks..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hello mystraid! Welcome to PF! :wink:

It has to be bounded from |r| to somewhere

we can choose that somewhere to be anywhere, but it makes it simplest if we choose it to be ∞ (so the potential is always 0 at ∞). :smile:

Thank you for the reply tiny-tim.

And, I have another question. What if the function is dependent on the position vector r but not the magnitude of it?

So:

F(r) = f(r)r

Then is there any potential for such a force, and if so, under what conditions it exists?

Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't understand. :confused:

Me, too:smile:

1. What is a central force potential?

A central force potential is a mathematical function that describes the force between two objects that only depends on the distance between them. It is typically used to model the gravitational or electrostatic force between two objects.

2. How is the central force potential calculated?

The central force potential is calculated using the formula V(r) = -k/r, where k is a constant and r is the distance between the two objects. This formula is derived from Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation or Coulomb's Law.

3. What does "Bound from |r| to Infinity" mean in the context of computing central force potential?

"Bound from |r| to Infinity" refers to the range of distances for which the central force potential is calculated. In this case, it means that the potential is calculated for all distances from the center of the force (r=0) to infinity (r=∞).

4. What is the significance of computing the central force potential?

Computing the central force potential allows us to understand and predict the behavior of objects under the influence of a central force. It is used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and astronomy to study the motion of planets, stars, and other objects.

5. Are there any limitations to the central force potential model?

Yes, the central force potential model has limitations. It assumes that the force between two objects is only dependent on their distance and does not take into account other factors such as the mass or charge of the objects. It also assumes that the objects are point masses and do not have any size or shape.