Does Knowing Everything Eliminate the Need for God?

• Thread starter canopus
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether or not we still need a God if we were to learn everything. Some argue that even with all knowledge, we would still need God to exist and guide us. Others suggest that knowing everything would make us God-like and potentially make the need for a higher being obsolete. However, it is also mentioned that knowing everything does not necessarily mean understanding everything, and the belief in a God may still be necessary for acceptance and making sense of the world. Ultimately, the question of whether or not we need a God is a matter of personal belief.
canopus
Learning Everything...

When we learn everything, do we still need a God?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, so we can be told when there's nothing left to learn.

You would still have to learn what God's thinking.

If you can do that then you still have to learn what it's like to be God.

Then you have to learn everything that will happen in the future for the entire universe.

If you can do all that then you are God.

Then you still need a god (yourself) in order to exist.

It seems we have a lot to learn.

Companions the creator seeks, not corpses, not herds and believers. Fellow creators the creator seeks--those who write new values on new tablets. Companions the creator seeks, and fellow harvesters; for everything about him is ripe for the harvest.

Friedrich Nietzsche
"Thus Spoke Zarathustra"

Just thought it'd be appropriate :)

since not all people, perhaps none, would have the knowledge of everything, many would probably still "need" god...
question is more whether or not we "need" him today...

Learning everything is impossible

take simple physics for example you can't know the the speed and location of something at the same time.

Tom McCurdy said:
Learning everything is impossible

take simple physics for example you can't know the the speed and location of something at the same time.

??

I can tell you the exact speed and location of my car right now...

canopus said:
Sure. Why not?

Pete

this is analagous to asking if we learn eveything from our dads/moms, do we still need them. i think yes. they are our link to the past; where we came from. we cannot move forward if there is no past or a strong backround at that. if we learned eveything and if we didn't need God because of the fact, we would return to our starting position of ignorance beacuse if there is no God, then there is nothing.

If we know everything about how God runs the universe, stellar formation, gravity, everything, we still need him to actually DO the stuff. If you know every single detail about your car and how it works, including all of its systems, and you want to drive it, you still need the car to do the work. Brainwaves or knowledge can't really DO anything, they must be applied.

canopus said:

I don't know, why do you think we need God?

i think that if this was indeed possible and eventually it happened then we would in effect collectively be God-like. For if we knew everything, we could hypothetically do everything God is able to do in time. Then would we still need him/her/whatever? who knows? how would you even ever know that we truly now know everything?

Knowing everything is not the same as making sense out of everything. For that you require acceptance. Whether acceptance requires a God or not just depends upon your beliefs.

1. What is the best way to learn everything?

The best way to learn everything is through a combination of different learning methods, such as reading, listening, and hands-on experiences. It is also important to stay curious and open-minded, and to continuously seek new information and knowledge.

2. How long does it take to learn everything?

It is impossible to learn everything in a specific amount of time, as the amount of knowledge in the world is constantly expanding. Learning is a lifelong process and it is important to focus on the quality of learning rather than the quantity.

3. Can I really learn everything?

While it is impossible to learn everything, it is possible to have a broad and in-depth understanding of various topics. It is important to set realistic goals and focus on areas that are of interest to you.

4. What are some effective learning strategies for learning everything?

Some effective learning strategies for learning everything include setting goals, staying organized, taking breaks, and seeking out different sources of information. It is also important to practice critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. How can I stay motivated while learning everything?

To stay motivated while learning everything, it is important to break down your goals into smaller, achievable tasks. Celebrate your progress and don't be afraid to take breaks when you feel overwhelmed. Surround yourself with a supportive community and focus on the joy of learning rather than the end goal.