Help me think about Proton-Proton -> Proton+Antiproton collision

• Thread starter Olibaba
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Collision
In summary: GeV will produce a proton-antiproton pair, but the energy is not accounted for in the equation and must be accounted for in another way.
Olibaba
Hi, just registered to Physics Forums after doing a lot of lurking...

Anyway, the semester is restarting and my brain is rusty. Please help!

Here is my question:

I am asked to show that a proton colliding with a proton at rest must have energy greater than 5.6 GeV in order to produce a proton antiproton pair, and to do this using relativistic energy/momentum conservation.

Here is where I am at in my thinking.. Please let me know if I am making this too hard for myself, or if I am missing some big obvious detail!

1. In order to produce the proton-antiproton pair, the moving proton must overcome the coulomb barrier of the 'at rest' proton. (This seems trivial.. and I don't think I should include any math to take this into account).

2. Since it is suggested 5.6 GeV is the minimum energy, both proton and antiproton will be at rest after the collision.

So now I wonder where to go. I know the equations

E = K + m_p (setting c=1)
E = sqrt(p^2 + m_p^2)

I take it they both have m_p = 938 MeV (rest energy).

I am confused.. After the collision, the proton-antiproton will have a total energy of 2*938 MeV. Where does that 5.6 GeV go to?

Physics news on Phys.org
What frame do you want to work the problem in?

I would start in the lab frame.

Olibaba said:
I would start in the lab frame.

Almost never the right thing to do.

Is the flaw of using the lab frame that we aren't seeing the system from the particle's viewpoint?

In such a case, that would mean that using the lab frame in this case would only work as we specify that one of the particles is at rest (and thus its frame coincides with the lab frame)?

Thanks!

1. What is Proton-Proton collision?

Proton-Proton collision is a type of high-energy particle collision that occurs in particle accelerators. It involves two protons colliding with each other at extremely high speeds, resulting in the creation of new particles and energy.

2. How is Proton-Proton collision studied?

Proton-Proton collision is studied using particle accelerators, such as the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) at CERN. These accelerators use strong magnetic fields to accelerate protons to close to the speed of light, allowing them to collide and create new particles. Scientists then use detectors to analyze the particles produced in the collision.

3. What is the purpose of studying Proton-Proton collision?

The purpose of studying Proton-Proton collision is to gain a better understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern the universe. By studying the particles and energy produced in these collisions, scientists can test and refine theories about the structure of matter and the origins of the universe.

4. What is the significance of Proton-Proton collision in particle physics?

Proton-Proton collision is significant in particle physics because it allows scientists to explore the properties of matter at extreme energies that cannot be achieved in any other way. These collisions also provide insights into the early stages of the universe and help us understand the fundamental laws of nature.

5. What is the role of Proton-Proton collision in medical research?

Proton-Proton collision has played a crucial role in medical research, particularly in the development of cancer treatment. Particle accelerators use the same principles as those used in studying Proton-Proton collision to deliver high-energy beams of particles to targeted areas in the body, destroying cancer cells while minimizing damage to healthy tissue.