Looking for a high temp rubber

• Thread starter drumryan2000
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rubber
In summary, the conversation is about finding a high temperature rubber for use as a lamination press pad with a temperature range of over 700 F (370 C). The responder suggests looking into Teflon, but also mentions that it may not have the desired elasticity and can be costly for one-time use. They recommend contacting Garlock for potential new high-temperature materials. The original poster agrees to contact Garlock and provide an update.
drumryan2000
Can somebody help me out? I a looking for a high temp rubber to use as a lamination press pad. Hopefully something over or around the 700 F (370 C) range. If you know of a material great... if you know of a supplier awesome.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you are asking for something out of the performance range of even silicone rubbers. You might need to get into Teflon to get that kind of performance. You can contact Garlock (http://www.garlock.com/) to see if they have a supply-company carrying their product line in your area. They probably have sheets of Teflon materials (http://www.gore.com/en_xx/) on hand to cut custom gaskets for industrial customers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the response! I am currently using Teflon which works for the most part. A couple of the problems I am seeing are:

1. After heat and pressure are applied there is no "spring back" of the teflon so I sometimes deal with voids or bubbles during lamination.

2. Teflon is only one time use. It is costly to only use once.

Thanks -

OK, still you should contact Garlock. I have been out of that business for many years, and they may have some new high-temperature materials with better elasticity than Teflon. Good luck.

Thanks a lot! I just contacted them. I will let you know what I find out.

1. What is a high temp rubber and why is it important?

A high temp rubber is a type of rubber that is able to withstand high temperatures without melting or degrading. This is important because in certain applications, such as in engines or industrial machinery, there may be high levels of heat and the rubber components need to be able to withstand these conditions without failing.

2. What are the properties of a high temp rubber?

A high temp rubber typically has excellent heat resistance, good mechanical properties, and low compression set. It also has good resistance to chemicals, oils, and solvents.

3. What industries use high temp rubber?

High temp rubber is used in a variety of industries, including automotive, aerospace, electronics, and manufacturing. It is commonly used in gaskets, seals, hoses, and other components that need to withstand high temperatures.

4. How is high temp rubber tested for its temperature resistance?

High temp rubber is tested using various methods, such as heat aging, compression set test, and tensile strength test. These tests simulate the conditions the rubber will be exposed to and determine its ability to withstand high temperatures.

5. Are there different types of high temp rubber?

Yes, there are different types of high temp rubber, including silicone, fluorocarbon, and fluoroelastomer. Each type has its own unique properties and is suitable for different temperature ranges and applications.