Vapor pressure of water (kinetics)

In summary, the conversation discusses the collection of hydrogen gas generated from a reaction between a metal and hydrochloric acid. However, there is a possibility of water vapor being mixed in with the collected gas, making it difficult to accurately measure the gas volume. The idea of using a desiccant to remove the water vapor is suggested, but it is uncertain if the equilibrium between liquid water and water vapor has been reached. It is also mentioned that keeping the reaction for a longer time may help determine the amount of water vapor present.
feiyangflash
Hi All,

I tried to collected hydrogen gas generated from the reaction between a metal and hydrochloric acid. I put a inverted conical flask in the water, and the generated H2 would push the water out of the flask, and then the H2 was collected. However, I guess there is water vapor mixed together with the H2, and therefore the gas volume I read is actually for the summation of H2 and water vapor, rather than the H2. I could find the equilibrium vapor pressure of water at room temperature. However, I don't know whether the equilibrium between liquid water and water vapor is reached or not. The whole reaction last for 1/2 hour.

Is there a way to figure out how much the pressure contributed by water vapor is?

Thank you!

Fei

Engineering news on Phys.org
could you simply use a desiccant to get rid of the water vapor?

if, as you suggest, that there may be a non-equilibrium amount of water vapor in your system, it would be difficult to attach a numerical value to how much is present.

Thank you for the reply!

I keep it for much longer time, so the equilibrium between the water vapor and liquid water is reached, and then I know how much water vapor there is in the mixed gas of hydrogen and water vapor.

uby said:
could you simply use a desiccant to get rid of the water vapor?

if, as you suggest, that there may be a non-equilibrium amount of water vapor in your system, it would be difficult to attach a numerical value to how much is present.

1. What is vapor pressure and how does it relate to water?

Vapor pressure is the pressure exerted by the vapor of a liquid in a closed container at equilibrium. It is a measure of the tendency of a liquid to evaporate. Water has a high vapor pressure due to its strong hydrogen bonding, making it a very volatile liquid.

2. How is the vapor pressure of water affected by temperature?

The vapor pressure of water increases as temperature increases. This is because higher temperatures provide more energy for water molecules to overcome the attractive forces holding them in the liquid phase, resulting in more molecules escaping into the vapor phase.

3. What factors can affect the kinetics of water vapor pressure?

The kinetics of water vapor pressure can be affected by factors such as temperature, surface area, and the presence of other substances. Higher temperatures and larger surface areas will increase the rate of evaporation and therefore increase the vapor pressure. Other substances, such as solutes, can lower the vapor pressure by occupying space and reducing the number of water molecules available to evaporate.

4. How is the vapor pressure of water measured?

The vapor pressure of water can be measured using a variety of techniques, such as the isopiestic method, the static method, and the dynamic method. These methods involve creating a closed system with a known volume of water and measuring the pressure of the vapor phase at different temperatures.

5. Why is the vapor pressure of water important in atmospheric science?

The vapor pressure of water plays a crucial role in the water cycle and in determining the weather and climate. It is a key factor in the formation of clouds and precipitation, and affects the amount of water vapor in the atmosphere, which in turn impacts temperature and humidity levels. Understanding the kinetics of water vapor pressure is essential for predicting and studying weather patterns and climate change.